Growing Peters Biguns

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi all

How many of us are getting some of Peter F's pumpkin seeds?

I ask because I though we could get a little good natured competition in here.

My lad wants to see how big he can grow a pumpkin so I wondered if any of the kids want to try. We could post photos regular (say every month or so) on here and then the kids have to write a little piece on what they did and how they did it. We could set a day for the kids to plant their seeds and go from there. The same for the adults if we want to have a little competition. Unless you're all too scared to take me on.

Go on, come and have a go if you think you're hard enough :evil:
Lots of love

Lizzie
peterf
KG Regular

thats the spirit lizzie :lol: lets see who's brave enough.there's still plenty of seeds (free of charge) :o

Count me in, although I never do well with pumpkins, how do I get the seeds Peter?
paul.r

heres one i prepared earlier.Image
peterf
KG Regular

anyone wanting seeds,can email me [email protected]
lizzie
KG Regular

I've never grown them successfully before. The seed germinates and then it dies a death.

I'm probably setting muself up for public ridicule but that's fine.

Anyway, I thought the kids could have a go too. It'll be good for them to see how the plant develops and grows. You can always stick a cane next to the pumpkin and take bets on how long after watering the cane will fall over.

What I thought was if we get the numbers who are using Peters seeds and then set a date when we plant the seeds together, it'll be a fair way of doing it.

We could let this thread run until next Thursday for people to register their interest and their kids interest. Then give 2 weeks for the seeds to be received, then a planting date the week after that.

How does that sound? Any thoughts or other ideas to add in?
Lots of love

Lizzie
lizzie
KG Regular

My my, that Is a big one. I do like a talented man :wink:
Lots of love

Lizzie
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

our alan has got a bigger one than that!
Love you lots like Jelly Tots

Grock get some seeds, we can team up and between us grow a pumpkin bigger than ever, just give it a liguid diet of brandy, babycham, pedigree, Rioja and sanatogen.

Dont worry about size, we can hollow it out and fill it with lead :twisted:
lizzie
KG Regular

That's true Grock. I've sent for your and my seeds today Grock.

What do you say then Grock, and we'll give Joe and Big Allan a run for their money
Lots of love

Lizzie
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Lizzard, I have just posted my seed envelope as well, I just hope that mine grows to be bigger than Grocks bottom. :twisted:
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
peterf
KG Regular

hi lizzie,e-mails never stopped :D what i will point out to eveyone is these plants need a lot of space.if youve only got a small growing area maybe they arent for you.they arent hard to grow but do require a high germination temp (80-90c).i would advise on a sowing time of 4 weeks before your last frost (under cover)or hang on another 2 weeks or so and plant seed direct into your patch.we will supply cultural info with seeds,and you can also e-mail at any time during the growing season if you are having any problems.wer'e just a bunch of pumpkin enthusiasts who would like to see as many people as possible join this crazy world of big uns,thanks peterf :D
lizzie
KG Regular

I'm saying nothing about that Piglet. The Grock has a mean left hook (ask her husband Joe)

Plus, her plot is next door to mine and I don't want to be left out when the bbq starts getting fired up again!!!!!!

Oh, how are your wounds healing Piglet, I do hope Mrs Piglet has tended them for you. It's an awkward place to put a plaster on :shock:
Lots of love

Lizzie
pigletwillie
KG Regular

had a skin graft Lizzie, can open two botles of wine at once now with me corkscrews, nudge nudge, wink, wink :twisted:
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
lizzie
KG Regular

Woa

Steady there Tiger. You're making me blush :oops:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic