PLANT DYES

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

Can anyone tell me what woad- (ISATIS TINCTORIA) LOOKS LIKE AND WHERE I COULD GET IT FROM.want to dye some things :wink:
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Grock

This is what it looks like

Seeds from Nicky's Nursery - £1.25 a packet.
Lyn
KG Regular

Hi Grock,
Woad is very easy to grow, (and the bees love it) but if you use it as a natural dye in the normal way you will get a green rather than a blue dye. I use it to dye wool that I have spun, and with a tin or alum mordant it gives a lovely soft green colour. If you want blue dye (like the Ancient Brits) you have to mess about with fermenting it and all sorts of faffing about - I'm not sure of the exact procedure but I know it is quite tricky. Best of luck!

Lyn
Weed
KG Regular

In the Monty Don programme some years ago where he visited some Birmingham allotments there was a lady who grew various plant for their dyes... I actually saw her giving demonstrations of the processes in The Garden Show at the NEC the following year

Now if anyone still has a copy of that show...it may well help you
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies guys,u r all sooo nice.Alan i will try the place you mention :D
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Bren
KG Regular

The allotments you mentioned is Walsall Rd. Allotments Birmingham, the Lady's who dyes name is Teresinha Roberts. [email protected],
The web site is www.growit.ik.com
hope this help's you.
Bren
Weed
KG Regular

Bren....that's fantastic....what a mine of information you are...that was the lady I had in mind

Thanks for the links too
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
goldilox
KG Regular

Hi Grock,
I grow woad from seed each year, bought from Chilterns Seeds in Ulverston, but this year had self-saved seed.
I also dye wool and it's not so difficult to get blue from woad, just a bit involved. But if you've got a spare afternoon and the right chemical (Spectralite from Fibrecrafts) it's quite fascinating to watch the wool emerge from the dye bath pale yellow and then magically turn blue as it oxygenates.
If you would like instructions I can send them to you.
Chris
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic