rats!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

fen not fen

We're suddenly overrun with rats eating all our winter crops - beetroot, carrots, broccoli, everything! I'm baiting with Eradirat and getting a ratting dog, but these are fairly long term solutions (as the dog is only 7 weeks old, aaaah). Does anyone know of a quick way of getting rid of them? If I see a rat hole should I dig it out or fill it in? I know there will always be rats but this is getting ridiculous!
peter
KG Regular

Traps are quite effective, remember to place them so they do not get any birds, or the dog. Caught two so far this cold spell

My german shorthaired pointer smelt the cheese bait and moved the bits of wood to stick her nose in one last week, fortunately her tongue wasn't out at the time, seems to have learnt the lesson & I'm using heavier blockers.

Metal traps are a better bet as they have punched up triangles in the base to stop the little darling pulling itself out of the trap, they still die from the impact if they manage to get out, but can stagger good few feet before finally expiring.

I would be very very wary about poison, of any type, whatever the manufacturers statements, with a young dog about. My local farmer lost his retriever some years ago when it ate a poisoned rat.

I assume you know all about Weils diease?

Good luck with the filthy little devils.
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

I used to have a terrier that was quite good with rats but not all dogs have the stomach for a full grown rat - they can be quite intimidating! My Bess was nearly 3 years old before she finally plucked up the courage to actually go for one. do you know anyone who will lend you an established rating dog?
I agree about the poision if you have a puppy, they WILL eat it if they find it. Is there anything else attracting them? Egg shells in the compost,chickens, animal feed, pet rabbits, untidy neighbours or derelict farm buildings etc. Try and find the rat runs - they use the same paths all the time and if you can disrupt the runs it can help deter them. Metal traps - the ones that kill the buggers (never had any inclination to use the 'humane' ones) are quite effective. Good luck
peat
KG Regular

someone gave me this advice.
mix some cement with flour and leave safely in the rat run. On eating it they need to drink.
I've never tried it.
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
peterf
KG Regular

hi not sure of your location,i do a lot of rat control with air rifles,there are many air rifle club members who are fully insured would willingly sort this problem out for you (free of charge).email me for a list of your nearest members,these chaps are proffesional pest controllers.cheers peter.

Don't be too downhearted. Eradirat is the new poison that only affects rodents. Put it in a tube like a drainpipe, so that your dog can't get it anyway. Put pipe on rat run. In the end you may find you actually only have a pair doing all the damage, and that the cold weather has brought them close to your home. Are you rural? If so, you have actually invaded their territory. Not that that would stop me killing them! But it helps to look at it in that way.The dog will help anyway because it will disrupt their lifestyle and hassle them a bit. Just like weeds they're a perennial problem that you have to keep on top of. WASH your hands after being outside and touching anything they may have contaminated. Jane
fen not fen

Thanks for all the advice - the poison does already seem to be having some effect as damage in one area appears to have stopped. I'm using locking bait boxes to reduce the chance of accidental poison, and I have an air rifle but I rarely see them out and about to shoot them (and of course never when I have the gun). Jane - we are (very) rural, and I don't know about invading their space, more moving in and opening a free 24 hour restuarant!
jane E
KG Regular

We did much the same thing. They don't take long to take advantage! My worst experience was one day going to feed my pigs. I had been meaning to get an old dustbin to keep the feed in, but with all the clearing up for winter etc I hadn't got round to it. I went into the barn and the feed bag literally jumped. I threw a log at it and it jumped again. Unfortunately, I haven't got the bloodlust or killer instinct that one needs to finish off a rat and by the time I got help - husband - it was gone.I've now got a dustbin, but I still kick it before I open it!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic