Very nosy neighbours what can I do?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, i hope i have read your reply wrong, where you mention your husband.
But if i've read it right i'm very, very sorry to hear this news.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Compo
KG Regular

Hi Catherine, all the advice given so far is valid, especially the suggestions about diplomatic solutions, however, you do have certain rights over privacy / light / nuisance law etc. A while back when I had my boundary problems with the 83 year old hellraiser next door (long story for another day) I found this website very useful. Some of the people whoh reply/ advise on the some of the postings appear to have legal backgrounds and seem to know what they are talking about. Give it a look anyway.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

Compo
Catherine
KG Regular

Well we have taken all your kind advice on board and this morning I was hanging the washing out and as usual over the fence is our NN peering down. :x So OH decided to take the bull by the horns and say something. NN was a bit shocked at this approach. OH said that for 20 years we have had privacy and since they did the raised patio we have lost it. (not the plot that is) He NN stuttered and stumbled but agreed with OH and when I got involved and said I was upset over three of them peering down at us on their BBQ, he agreed and said that it was not intentional. We told him that we were going to put up reed panels on top of the fence to get our privacy back. He agreed and said that he understood. So we hope all is quiet in the garden and we wont have to get upset again. Thank you for all you support and advice. :D :D
Catherine
KG Regular

Sorry OH to give you the wrong impression my OH is very much alive and well, except for his knee, but I meant that the unkind comment my OH made about me making the next door neighbours die of heart attacks if I decided, as Lizzie suggested, and go and water the garden in the buff.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, there are times in my life when i'm pleased to have got something wrong, and this is certainly one of them. :)

So glad the neighbours took on board what you said, and have agreed to your requests.
I'm sure some people don't do these things to be awkward, it's just everyone is slightly different.

Maybe you could give them a thankyou card for being understanding, it might go a long way to reinforcing what they have agreed.

You have to play these games pretty clever sometimes. :)

lizzie
KG Regular

Glad you appear to have it sorted out Catherine....and you'll be getting your privacy back again.

As for your OH comment about you watering in the buff...give him a slap...cheeky bugger.... :D
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Seems as if OH's and cheekyness go hand in hand. :twisted:

lizzie
KG Regular

Hark who's talking Herby :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My dear Lizzie, exactly my point. :twisted: :wink:

Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie. He has already been repremanded, several times...
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi Catherine,

Sounds like excellent news. Let's all hope that your peace and tranquillity returns as before.

Cheers, Parsons Jack.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Catherine
KG Regular

Hello PJ did you enjoy your allotment this morning. Yes we are glad that we hope things are sorted out and we wont have to say anything else. We are going to put a either a hazel or willow screen along the top of the fence panels. We have worked out how to do it so hopefully it will work. NN was still standing at the fence tonight watering his plants but he did managed to avoid looking over. Lets hope it lasts.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi Catherine,

I think the screens should work fine. Let us know how you get on with them. I don't have an allotment here. I have recently moved back to this area, and the garden, although not what you would call extra large, has been laid out for veg growing over a number of years. The previous owners were here for 20 years and have really looked after the soil. Apparently the old chap who was here before them spent more money and time on the garden than he ever did on the bungalow, so consequently I have inherited some nice fertile soil. You can almost dig it with your fingers :) I'm thinking about a lottie though. I'll see how this season goes first. If I find I can't grow enough, I'll have to look into it.

Cheers, Parsons Jack.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Catherine
KG Regular

Good morning PJ. How lucky you are to have your veggies in the back garden large or small. Our garden is not very big and about 15 years ago we put in a large fish pond and I made a cottage garden around it. My OH won't dig it up for veggies so that is why we got the lottie. We have had it seven years, we got one part which was a starter plot and then we took the lower allotment, another starter plot two years ago. It is very thin soil as there were greenhouses on it so they knocked them down and scraped everything off!! So we try to make compost and get manure to make raised beds because it is on a slope and gets running with water which, if we didn't do raised beds would get washed away. My only gripe about the whole thing is that we pay two lots of water rate with the rent which is slightly reduced. The next allotment, which is the same as both ours put together pays only one water rate. We have been told by people that if they rented it out separately they would get two water rates so to stop complaining. I dont want to lose the bottom plot so I wont start complaining to anyone. Complaining over it is too nice a day to be miserable. We will make the screens later this week and hope that they work.
Steven549
KG Regular

This is 14 years too late but I have the same problem now and it can be really irritating.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic