Allan Day

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Johnboy
KG Regular

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you all that Allan died 23rd April in Hereford.
He will be missed by very many people.
Although he and I had our differences we never lost a mutual respect for each other and were in fact really good friends.
I for one will miss him one hell of a lot.
Allan Day 1929 - 2008.
JB.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Thanks for the update JB and I'm very sorry to hear the news.

Some of the debates you two had were legendary and I know you will miss your old sparring partner.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

What a shame, Allan did make me laugh at the detail he used to put into his replies.
I will miss him too, i was only thinking about him yesterday.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Weed
KG Regular

How sad...I once referred to Allan and JB as like the two guys in the Theatre Box in the Muppet Show...

The debates were heated at times but one could clearly see that both gentlemen know their subject well although perhaps from a different perspective

His knowledge and comments will be missed
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
alan refail
KG Regular

Rest in peace Allan.
I was thinking about his absence from the Forum when I was checking perennial onions he sent me last year.

If anyone wants an example of his knowledge of growing, have a look at his contributions to the Technical Data forum, especially this masterly essay on watercress
Chantal
KG Regular

I was wondering where he was only yesterday; he may have been cantankerous at times, but he will be missed.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was Just thinking, if anyone knew his wife, or a relations address, would it be a nice idea to send a sympathy card from his freinds on the forum?

Allan was a very kind chap, he sent me a virtual Birthday card one year, and also offered me some of the wire frames for the Chase glass cloches.

One more thought that springs to mind is, shortly after i had joined the forum there was one of the humorous disagreements going on.
Anyway, i had a dream that night that i had got a job working for Allan at his farm. Anyway he was absolutely horrible to me for the first hour until i squared up to him, and then he turned into a true Gentleman.
When i woke up it seemed so real, i had to smile to myself. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I am also exteremley sad to learn of the loss of Allan. He had a rich base of knowledge based on pragmatism over a diverse range of subjects and often showed me kindness by offering me help in my gardening endeavours. He also had an interesting engineering and science background, first in physics then with electronics and brought the disciplines from these backgrounds to horticulture, i.e. a willingness to question and to experiment.

I noticed that his once regular postings had become infrequent of late and regret not contacting him.

The forum has lost a fine contributor and one of the old school.

Barney
John
KG Regular

Farewell Allan.

Many thanks for enriching Forum by sharing all your experience and knowledge with us.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Allan. You will be sadly missed. shallotman
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Had been thinking of him only recently. Gone to garden in a better place no doubt!
lizzie
KG Regular

What a shame....my sympathies to his family.

I always enjoyed his posts and his knowledge was fabulous.

He will be sadly missed by everyone here
Lots of love

Lizzie
Gilly C
KG Regular

RIP Allan, I so enjoyed reading your posts especially the discussions with Johnboy, condolences to your friends and family G
Compo
KG Regular

The lively debate provided by Allan has been missed and I wondered for sometime where he had gone, now I am saddened by the news and his 'voice' on here was profound for the forum. Commisserations to his family, along with OH I wonder if we could send a card and print off these tributes if his family cannot get on line to see them.

RIP Allan, and please look down on me and help me when I am struggling on my plot.

Compo.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Compo,
This is already in hand.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic