lovely day today

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

seedling
KG Regular

Had a great day on the plot today. The weather was lovely - about 20 degrees this afternoon. :D
After helping Chantal collect lots of paving slabs(burning lungs- out of condition :oops: ) and doing a tip trip it was up to the plot to weed, plant onions, drink tea and chat.
Now had a shower, poured a glass of wine and cooking salmon.
What have you been up to today?

Seedling
lizzie
KG Regular

Grey and cold day here today. I've been planning my mums birthday party for next week. Sorting out food lists etc....who's cooking what.

Took my son to his football training, came back and done a bit of shopping then a bit of housework. Hopefully, up to the lottie tomorrow to plant those bloody onions. The weather doesn't look too good though so i may have to leave it till Monday.

Maybe, i'll just curl up with a book and hibernate until the sun comes out :shock:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Clive.
KG Regular

Lovely day here...have planted Lady Christl and Kestrel Tateys...just Sunrise now to plant.

Dug up last of the Parsnips.. and forked over the ground.

Triple row of Radio (Radeo?) Peas sown...sticks still to fetch...needing trailer out of garage..couple of lawnmowers block its exit :oops: :roll:

Lawn mown with 1969 Atco battery mower..with nice new battery. :) ..

Newly acquired 1980 Ransomes Marquis looked at..and looked at again :roll: still can't build up energy to start and progress it :? :roll: :shock: ...my love/hate relationship with mowers.:twisted:....filthy mucky things they are :shock:....
....Garden muck is clean muck :)

Trip out to local nursery for bag of Growmore...ready for next planting session...when it dries again...listening to weather forecast :roll: :wink:

Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Lizzie, my onions are looking really well, and growing away nicely. :twisted:

It's been an absolutely gorgeous day here today, been catching up with a lot of little jobs this morning. Went and cut a large lawn for a lovely couple i know, this afternoon, And cut the grass over the allotment later.

And i know you are going to think i'm mad, but i planted out fourty runner bean plants a little while ago. :shock:

Now what shall i have for supper. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Lovely day here as well today. Managed to get the grass cut, and started on the second of six horizontal Junipers which are having to come out. The previous owners made some lovely flower borders in the front garden, but planted these junipers thinking that they would stay small. Apart from the odd trim, they have been left to their own devices and are smothering everything else. Also had a couple of long walks along the beach, finishing up with fish and chips out of the paper on a nice bench :D Oh, and some chocolate fudge! Must try and get the rest of my broad beans planted out tomorrow.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
donedigging
KG Regular

Hi all
great day for me too, weather great and warm, got loads done today, :D planted out summer cabbages, red and white,covered all with netting, (I will beat the white cabbage butterfly this year even if it kills me!!) :twisted:
Planted broad beans and sweet peas.
Boaring jobs I got done were housework and washing!
Colin_M
KG Regular

donedigging wrote:planted out summer cabbages, red and white,covered all with netting, (I will beat the white cabbage butterfly this year even if it kills me!!)

Great minds think alike - I got some cabbages & other brassicas out on Saturday too.

You're right about the netting - I put this on last year mainly to protect against pigeons. However it really helped against caterpillars too (though when the leaves grow up to the net, you'll find some enterprising butterflies poke their abdomens through and still lay their eggs on the plants!).
Weed
KG Regular

Has anyone tried the 'Rhubarb Soup' method of keeping off the Cabbage Whites and Cabbage Root Fly?

I have some brewing at the moment and it should be ready shortly...the pong is growing daily! :roll:
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Tiltonblue
KG Regular

Has been a lovely day in Birmingham too.

I have now completed all the paths round my raised bed. All is planted in the patch now with the exception of the leeks, which need potting on.

I can see the green shoots from the onions too.

Mike
Primrose
KG Regular

Picked more Swiss Chard to wilt down with a little oil and garlic for dinner. Desperately trying to finish the row off as I need the space so will be eating it all this week.
Planted out a few climbing beans as the roots were growing through the loo rolls.
And yesterday was the last match of the football season so maybe I can now persuade my OH to join me in some weeding over the next few weeks !
Last edited by Primrose on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monika
KG Regular

I sowed two rows of peas yesterday (pre-germinated in peat at home) when it was lovely and today, lovely warm rain all day! Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the mice won't discover them and the snails. At least they are all covered with wire netting against the birds.

The forecast for the week isn't grand, but it sounds good growing weather if we can get the gardening done between showers.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just caught one shower of life giving rain today, planted twenty tomato plants out under glass cloches at 6.30am this morning.
I know, i'm mad. :)

seedling
KG Regular

We`ve just had thunder lightening, rain and hail in a huge storm in Rugby :shock: . Complete contrast to the rest of the day which was warm and mostly sunny.

Seedling
Chantal
KG Regular

She's not wrong, we had hail stones rattling down our chimney and the ground was white. Scary stuff :shock:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well i'm glad you young Ladies had the hailstones and not me, the thought of my Runner beans, French beans and tomato plants being shredded is unthinkable. :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic