Sods Law - why is it!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

Why is it that now the weather has started to pick up, my husband has had a successful op on his knee and is on the right side of it I get a bad bout of sciatica, so bad that I have been sitting/standing downstairs since 2am, So my husband can sleep. I have loads of digging and planting to do and am unable to do anything. I am feeling really fed up as I dont know how long it will take to settle down. :cry: :cry: Thank you for listening, sorry to moan.
Chantal
KG Regular

I can empathise you this morning. I've been awake for much of the night unable to lie down 'cos I couldn't breathe properly. Getting over a heavy cold and it's moved on to my chest (don't even THINK about it Peter/OH). Day off today, going to London with Seedling then day off tomorrow to dig the plot over a long weekend. Good weather, as you say and I am more likely to be found in a waiting room at the doctors first thing tomorrow :roll:

I do hope your sciatica gets sorted quickly Catherine, if not, see you on here at 2am tomorrow :wink: and no doubt Lizzie will join us.
Last edited by Chantal on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, i know how bad it can be with sciatica, so i really do feel for you.
It's the combination of pain, lack of sleep and frustration that really do make one feel low.

I did find doing the right excercises after seeing a phisio did help. But it does take a while to get working.

As it happens my Mum is crippled with pain at the moment from sciatica as well.
Unless you have had it you can't really explain how bad it can get.

I do hope you can get shot of it as soon as possible, the only advice i can give you is try not to do anything that annoys it, but keep trying to do the things that don't.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Catherine
KG Regular

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Sorry to moan as I know there are people with far worse things going on in their lives at the moment. My brother in law being one of them. He has terminal cancer and a year last December was given 6 months to live. He is still here (in Zambia)Mostly due to the fact that he has been very well looked after by my sister, I have been watching old videos of family holidays with them. So I should stop moaning and get on with things. Oh and it has started to pour with rain it was lovely at 5am.
Chantal
KG Regular

You're right, we shouldn't moan as there are so many worse off than us, BUT at 3am when you feel crappy and it feels like you're the only person awake on the planet, there's no harm in having a good old whinge. :wink:

Right, off to get sorted and then off to London :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Chantal Yes things always look worse in the middle of the night. I am feeling slightly better now having had a painkiller and a cup of coffee. Enjoy your day I hope the weather is better with you than here because it is very wet and miserable. Thanks again.
HelenH
KG Regular

Hi Catherine

Sorry to hear your're suffering with sciatica pain. Nothing worse! And it's particularly frustrating when there's heaps to do outside. I'm in a similar position in as much as I am getting over an op, and although I feel really well, I'm not able to drive, lift anything etc. So that rules out pretty much most of the jobs I have in the garden! Great!

With just a little time and patience I'm sure that you will be feeling a lot better.

It's raining here and I'm just off to do some work (desk work unfortunately).

Regards
HelenH
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Helen

Just spoken to my docs surgery and had to be triaged by the practice nurse so see if I am bad enough to see the doctors!!!! :shock: Now got an appointment for 10.30 hope that I can have some stronger painkillers as the ones I am taking are only just keeping me sane it hurts like hell sitting down. Sorry to hear you are getting over an op how soon before you can drive and work in the garden. Keep resting and you will soon be better.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Catherine

As someone who deals with chronic back pain on a daily basis, I can fully sympathise with you. 3am is the worst part and the most frustrating.

Things do get better, and it will pass so you'll be able to do the things you need to get done.

I had a bad bout with my back for about a fortnight and I couldn't get Jack done, which was driving me nuts.

It got easier, so I went to the lottie, sowed everything over three days. Then I got cocky and decided to dig over the onion bed, ready to put the onions in.

Bad idea....had a bad day yesterday so taking it easy again for a couple of days. Will hopefully get the poxy bloody onions sown on Sunday.

It's the frustration that gets to me.

Thank God for the internet, music and gardening catalogues to help keep me sane (well nearly sane anyway) (say anything Herby and i'll trim your roots) :twisted:

So, keep going and i'll see you on here one morning :shock: It does get better
Lots of love

Lizzie
Catherine
KG Regular

Thanks for that Lizzie. I think that I overdid it last Saturday when I thought I was getting better. Went to the docs yesterday and he says I've got sacroiliac joint inflammation. (which is my hip flexor!!) :cry: Told me to take two weeks off and rest. Ha I'm self employed. The tabs he gave me only made me sleep not relieve the pain. Just had two hours in bed. Still feel grumpy just as well I am on my own today. Husband back at work after his knee operation week last Wednesday. With sticks he has gone back a week early, typical man wont be told thinks he knows better than the surgeon who told him to go back after TWO weeks to do LIGHT work. No chance of that. But I am going to go up to the plot and stand, which is the only reasonably comfortable postition to be in. I have some seeds I need to transplant. And it is raining again.
Catherine
KG Regular

Thanks OH.
I hope your mum is feeling better soon. I have been to Pilates today to see if she can help relieve the pain in my hip. She has helped a bit but cant sit for long. Going to see a sports injury chappie on Tuesday and I hope he will be able to sort me out. As I said the doc says it sacroiliac joint inflammation. I am not to reach or carry heavy things or bend forward all of which causes great pain anyway.Looking forward to the weekend when I can have a glass of wine or two!!! Though might not last that long. Have to collect husband from work in an hour as he's not driving yet forgot it is Friday so the weekend starts in and hour and a half.!
Monika
KG Regular

Could you not try acupuncture, Catherine? I have heard it can help with sciatica.
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Monika Unfortunately it's not sciatica been to the docs and it is sacriliac joint inflammation which is different so I am told. But I am thinking of going to to try the Bowen Technique. Had this treatment for Fybromyalgia and it has really helped me with the pain for that. I will try and make an appointment on Monday. Just got to be patient. I had acupuncture a few years ago for a bad back but did not find it worked for me. Thank you anyway for your suggestion. Hows the garden coming on?
Catherine
KG Regular

Well here I am all on my own. 4.15 with a cup of tea and a wheat bag on my hip. Cant sleep for the pain tried with pillow under my legs without pillows, on my side, on my back and have now given up. I will just troll through the websites in my favourites till the painkillers kick in and then go back to bed. Bye for now.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, i do hope you managed to get some sleep in the end, lack of sleep just makes everything seem a whole lot worse.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic