Jo Swifts Compost

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tracie
KG Regular

I would like to know like thousands of other allotmenteers where I can get a 15 tonns of free compost for our allotment site!.

Having contacted our local council we have been told that all of the green waste is composted locally and taken to a farm where it is used as a soil improver. The compost is not for sale. If it is not for sale, and is delivered to the farm, then why can we not have a delivery.

Allotmenteers all over the country contact your local Council and find out what happens to your green waste. Why can WE not have some of this free compost.
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Primrose
KG Regular

I think Ratepayers (or Council Tax payers) have a right to free compost as usually they're providing most of the stuff to be composted in the first place. Here in Bucks we have a Free Compost Day every year when you can turn up and take away as much as you can shovel up. Have never actually taken advantage of it, partly because I'm uncertain whether it's got any nasty pesticides in it which the composting process might not have got rid of, and partly because I can't see my OH wanting lots of loose compost in bags in the car boot. (I once let a bucket of freshly dropped horse manure fall over on the back seat of his new car, so you can see why my composting collection sessions are viewed with suspicion).
tracie
KG Regular

I am begining to wonder if there is no set system for dealing with the green composted waste.

It took a while before our council would tell us what happens to it, I wonder if it is some sort of state secret.
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
retropants
KG Regular

our council sells it back to us for £1.50 a bag!!!
Chantal
KG Regular

Our green waste compost goes to cover land fill :roll: I know, 'cos I asked my local councillor.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Catherine
KG Regular

We never get anything for free on our lottie. They cant even fill in the holes at the bottom of the lane where you turn up from the road. But they have put our rent up!!!! I believe a skip might be coming next month at the far end of the alloment. First time we have ever had one and we have been on this allotment for seven years.
lizzie
KG Regular

I know that Liverpools green waste is used on the parks and for verges/roundabouts etc.

About twice a year we can get compost for free and are then charges about 50p per bag for any extra.

I wait until the next day and, as there is always a pile left, I help myself to any that I want. :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Angi
KG Regular

We are lucky here in Portsmouth. There seems to be enough green waste to provide compost not only for the green spaces but also for us allotmenteers. We regularly get deliveries of compost from our council.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic