So cold

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

Looking at Metcheck for the end of March I can scarce believe it. I know it's a 14 day forecast but they're suggesting frosts of -4 to -6 with a real feel of -9 :shock:

Hopefully those blasted cabbage white fly will finally freeze solid. :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
richard p
KG Regular

the 7 day on weather.co.uk gives pretty much the same cloudy weather as weve had the past week or so.its rained all day here, the ground is sodden , the wettest its been here for several years. guess we must be due for a hose ban :D
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Well Metcheck may be the best of the weather forecasters but I still find that it isn't reliable even a couple of days ahead. And the forecasts change frequently. Yesterday, the Easter week - I am keeping an eye on it as we have 2 children, spouses and 4 grandchildren that week - was promising dry and mainly sunny, if not too warm. Now it have changed to sleet and snow and colder. With luck, it will change again. But yes, the outlook is pretty dismal for gardening. I am waiting to sow carrots, but even in my cold frame, specially bought for that, the soil temperature is too low.
Chantal
KG Regular

I wouldn't argue with that Colin and the forecast is changing by the hour. Minus 9 forecast yesterday to zero forecast today on 30th March :roll: I may get lucky and get plus 15 by the end of the week :lol: :lol: They were right about this weekend, it's very wet and windy today.

Perhaps I'll just look out of the window. :wink:
Chantal

Tigger
KG Regular

It's wet and cold here today. I can hide in my tunnels for some of it, but I'm struggling to find an axcuse - sorry, a reason - why I shouldn't do the ironing, especially as the pile is now halfway up the wall!
pump_king
KG Regular

The one I use is http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/
It is pretty reliable being the met office and you cand select the towns and cities in your own region, or select the weather by post code. :)
If I can't eat it I don't grow it
http://myallotment.spaces.live.com/
Chantal
KG Regular

Sorry, I don't like that site at all! It seems very messy somehow, but I guess it's what you get used to.

I'll stick with www.Metcheck.com, who at least don't get it as wrong as the BBC :wink:
Chantal

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigger,
I detest ironing and when my pile goes from the utility room as is halfway up the stairs I have been known to say sod it and put things away unironed.
As for the weather I went down for a paper at 7.30 this morning and when I went to go back less than 10 minutes the road had flooded and instead of 11/2 miles I had to do a 12 mile detour to get home. If the river is going to go out I generally use the tractor but went out without thinking.
The council have closed the road past me but the cars still chance their arms going through the flood.
There will be a knock at my back door shortly and I shall earn a couple of drinks for lunch time pulling them out of the water.
Dear god I have just seen a Mercedes towing a caravan going down towards the flood. That will be fun if that gets caught.
JB.
richard p
KG Regular

ive got the weather.co.uk page set as my home page so every time i go on the net i get a 7 day local forcast and the satelite wiew of western europe and the atlantic which shows the clouds, sometimes the cloud view gives a totally different message to the actual forcast.... and when you skype the brother inlaw in spain you only ask about the weather when you can see he's covered in cloud :evil:
by the way whats the point of ironing, the clothes only get creased again...comfy clothes dont need ironing.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Johnboy, do you think you will get a double, for towing a car and caravan out of the flood. :wink:

I am trying Chantal, and i don't want anyone putting, very, infront of the word trying. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
vivienz
KG Regular

I see what you mean about the weather forecast, Chantal! Even here in southern-softy Bournemouth we may hit zero, and I'm going to need at least 2 fleeces (that NEVER need ironing, Johnboy) if I'm going to get my onions and shallots out next weekend. No good at all, is what I say, especially after the washout this weekend. Luckily, everything is coming on nicely in the greenhouse, but it's going to get very crowded in there, very soon.

Anyhow, if you're a proper gardner, who cares whether your clothes are a little crumpled? I take great delight in going around our local 'garden' centre, straight from the allotment, muddy boots & clothes, hair windblown & interesting, if only to see how many horrified looks I get from the other customers who seem to think it appropriate to dress as though they were going to a christening rather than a garden centre. Great sport!

Hope the weather perks up soon - enjoy the rest of the weekend, folks.

Vivien
Chantal
KG Regular

Hey Vivien, I do that at our garden centre too. Mud down my fingernails and looking thoroughly disreputable :lol: :lol: The sad thing is, not many people notice anything out of the ordinary. :oops:
Chantal

lizzie
KG Regular

I am now so confused....when do I start planting? According to metcheck.com Liverpool will be having some daytime temps at -3 and nighttime at -8 :shock: We could also get some snow.

The greenhouse is unheated so i'm not sure weather to hold on until April and see if things improve.

I also hate ironing......I can't bloody stand doing it. Unfortunately, I have to do school shirts for my son and work shirts for Big Andrew. My own stuff, I generall have a look and, if I can get away without ironing, I will.

I also go the garden centre straight from the lottie. I have on the hiking boots or wellies, black fleecy hat, several fleeces, green waterproof and covered in mud normally. I hate the "Margot Leadbetters" of gardening. They really do need burying in a good mound of horse manure :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chantal
KG Regular

Head first :twisted:

I should hold back on the sowing Lizzie, things will catch up. :wink:
Chantal

lizzie
KG Regular

I was thinking head first too...... then i'll have somewhere to park the wheelbarrow :twisted: :shock:

I think I will hold off sowing for a while. I don't normally start until mid-march anyway. A few more weeks won't hurt.

I wanted to get cracking cos I'm sowing the Grocks birthday present. She's just moved lair and she wants some pots to go outside the house. I said i'd grow them for her cos she's such a fab friend and all round brilliant person.

Still, she won't mind waiting
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic