Melon varieties for greenhouse

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldyummymummy
KG Regular

Hi all, I have an unheated greenhouse and would like to have a go at growing a few melons. Does anyone have any tips, especially regarding what are good varieties for early ripening?
We are not that keen on the honeydew type, preferring the "netted" type.
Thanks in advance.
Deb P
KG Regular

I regret to say I have always failed miserably with melons whatever variety I have tried to grow! They love warmth, plenty of food, and most people nip the growing tip out to limit the size of the plant and the number of fruits it will support. Last year I grew 4 different types in my lottie greenhouse, and the biggest fruit I got was the size of a tennis ball :oops: .....hopefully someone more successful will post some helpful advice for us both soon!!
richard p
KG Regular

just checked my seed box... earlygold f1 early maturing canteloupe, guess it was what wilkinsons had on the rack last year :D . i grew a couple of plants in the tunnel with the cuecumbers, just let them get on with it , we had a couple of edible melons off each one,perhaps should have restricted the growth a bit to encourage more fruit. guess i should stick some in today and see what happens this year
Speedy
KG Regular

I had reasonable success a couple of years ago with Blenheim Orange (Last year was too cold & wet) in an unheated greenhouse. I don't think it is an early variety. Melons need as much heat has you can give them with lots of support for both the plant and the fruit. Keep well fed & watered and don't let too many fruit (only 2 or 3)form on each plant otherwise they don't grow any bigger than tennis balls. :)
oldyummymummy
KG Regular

Thanks to all for replying - it is helpful to have your tips and experience.
It looks doomed to failure, but will have a go anyway - I just wanted to do this to show the children where their favourite fruit comes from.
retropants
KG Regular

Nooo! Its not doomed to failure!
my allotment neighbour grew a melon in a growbag in his unheated greenhouse last year. He got one very decent sized melon which was delicious by all accounts! He grew it on the south facing side, so full sun (what sun??) all day. 8)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic