Stepover apples

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Vivien
KG Regular

Does anyone have any experience of growing these? I have admired them enormousyly whenever visiting any large kitchen gardens, but I don't know what variety is best, how long they take, how best to train them, etc...
Any help would be much appreciated. It's still raining down here in Bournemouth!
Vivien
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Hi vivien
I grow minarette apples rather than step overs, but you are right, they look fantastic and I aspire to be able to buy some one day. Try www.kenmuir.co.uk for advice on these things. It is a retail site but has and excellent and very comprehensive help and advice section. Theres not much Mr Muir doesnt know about growing apples :)
peter
KG Regular

Step-over?

Looks like a truncated Espalier to me.

Aaaahhh, the great god marketing, presumambly soemone has that name registered and it sounds different, so lets charge more for a two year old single storey Espalier.

Apologies for the cynicism.
Beccy
KG Regular

They are truncated easpaliers, grown on dwarfing rootstock, but I don't think anyone's copyrighted the name. They are called stepovers just because you can, as fans are called so because they are trained in the shape of a fan.
lizzie
KG Regular

Step overs do look great. I've seen them used as edging around a lawn at a garden we visited a few years ago (can't remember which one. In Cornwall somewhere) It makes good use of all the available soil that you have.

Why not try it on a small area and see how you go. you could then always extend if you were happy with the results.

I would recommend the Ken Muir site as well. They are just as happy to gove advice as they are to sell you plants. It seems to me that it's just a matter of training the plants over a wire, like the type used for raspberries and then keeping it pruned to keep the shape.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic