Tomato Germination Problems

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Hi all, with February's issue of Kitchen Garden magazine their were 2 varieties of Tomato seed given away from DT Brown, they were Red Cherry and Moneymaker along with seeds of a Sweet Pepper called California Wonder, the Red Cherry seeds and Moneymaker seeds were sown at the same time and in the same propagator, the Red Cherry seeds have germinated excellently and have been through for nearly a week now but there is no sign of the Moneymaker seeds germinating, has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know as to why they haven't germinated for me, thanks Steve.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Steve, i've yet to sow mine, but i will let you know how well they both germinate.

I have no idea why yours haven't germinated, but they might still pop through in the next week.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Hi Steve, I have found in the past, that by getting a take- away plastic container, placing some damp paper kitchen towel in the base, place seed on top, put in airing cupboard, look at EVERY day, soon as they start to shoot, use tweezers to pot on. shallotman
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

STEVE PARTRIDGE wrote:Hi all, with February's issue of Kitchen Garden magazine their were 2 varieties of Tomato seed given away from DT Brown, they were Red Cherry and Moneymaker along with seeds of a Sweet Pepper called California Wonder, the Red Cherry seeds and Moneymaker seeds were sown at the same time and in the same propagator, the Red Cherry seeds have germinated excellently and have been through for nearly a week now but there is no sign of the Moneymaker seeds germinating, has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know as to why they haven't germinated for me, thanks Steve.

i sowed mine in a heated propagator on the weekend ,and will keep you informed
a bad days fishing beats a good days work
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Both Moneymaker and Red Cherry germinated without any problems and about the same time - in fact I think Moneymaker was earlier. Incidentally I am only going to grow Moneymaker indoors since my previous experience of this variety is that it doesn't ripen unless the temperature is 60F+.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Steve, i hope you didn't do what i've done before, forgot to put the seeds in the tray. :oops: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
STEVE PARTRIDGE
KG Regular

Hi all, they're through!! thanks for your replies and yes OH I was beginning to wonder if that's what I had done, regards Steve
Barry
KG Regular

In my experience, whenever I get failed tomato seeds in my unheated propagator, I resow in the same module after two weeks of waiting. The result then tends to be that BOTH seeds (if not three!!!!) germinate and I get two (or three) plants growing out of the same module.
The toughest ones tend to be Tommy Toe, which I think were given away with KG yonks ago!
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

all mone have come through now and a second sowing went in yessterday
a bad days fishing beats a good days work
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic