Tens Machine

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

seedling
KG Regular

Just thought I`d let you know that i bought a tens machine this morning. I suffer from alot of back pain caused by an injury when i was 18 . I was supposed to shovel shit (or move a pile of manure if you`re posh and cultured)with Chantal this morning but got up in pain and it continued despite painkillers.
I have looked at these machinesbefore but have only seen them for £40 (ish). Too expensive i thought.However on my hobbling travels this morning i went passed Llyods pharmacy who are selling them for £14.99 Bingo
Bought it, tried it and it works. Its only temporary relief but then so are painkillers. It blocks pain signals and encourages production of endorphins by sending electrical currents to the nerves in the muscles.
I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from frequent pain.

Seedling
Chantal
KG Regular

Brilliant news; I'd seen these advertised on the TV.

I'm so glad you're feeling better; does that mean you're up for shit shovelling tomorrow? :lol:

You'll be thrilled to know that Karen and I filled sixty sacks of muck, loaded them all into the horsebox, unloaded them at the plot, barrowed them down the path and then heaved them over the fence. I'm so tired I'm thinking of going to bed at 5:30pm! :roll: However, if you do get the urge to do it all again tomorrow, do please give me a call. 8)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Not trying to put a downer on the Tens Machines, but they only take the pain away when it is under a certain level, but i'm sure that still makes them better than nothing.

I wish i had some old girls like you lot on my allotments. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
lizzie
KG Regular

Glad you're feeling better Seedling. I know only too well how debilitating back pain can be.

I've tried TENS but it didn't work too well for me. There weren't enough of the little pads to go where they needed to go.

It is a very good alternative to painkillers, non chemical and no side effects. Has to be a good thing all round
Lots of love

Lizzie
Compo
KG Regular

They were originally designed for Childbirth I think and it worked very well for my wife when our sone was born 12 years ago, up to a point as mentioned earlier then you need something stronger, in her case it was my arm to grip fiercely.

Compo
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I bought one quite a while ago and did find it helped, but the last time I used it it didn't seem to be working, so while I was all hooked up, I turned the knob to full power and nothing happened, then I thought I might not have plugged it in properly. What a fright, the shock of being hit with full power, making my hand open and close involuntarily was really painful.

I'm afraid I've not used it since.

So, they are good, but be careful!
Compo
KG Regular

Reminds me, I have a pacemaker, probably not a good idea for me to give one a try.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Compo, you are not pregnant are you, since you said they are for childbirth. :shock: :lol: :wink:

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi LPP,
Your quote; There weren't enough of the little pads to go where they needed to go.
Mmmmmmm, I wonder why?
JB.
lizzie
KG Regular

I have a large area I need to cover JB :shock:
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Maybe you can buy larger pads for larger areas. :lol: :wink:

lizzie
KG Regular

I don't know about that herby.....they need to go in some odd shaped places
Lots of love

Lizzie
Malk
KG Regular

I used one with son's birth and it was great until the pressure started. Need to get one for this birth as borrowed the last, was looking on Ebay, but might try lloyds if I can find one.

Don't turn it on until you have both pads secured or take the pads off while on. I had the midwife and my partner electrocuting themselves and me trying to take them off me mid-contraction, each one holding an end. It was funny, kind of.
Welcome to Finland!!
FoaKni
KG Regular

Tried Lloyds a while back but the Tens Machine burnt out - plus when i rang up they had no idea what i was on about, so that put me off a little.
Has anyone tried Therapeutic Ultrasound machines before, apparently they're good for pain relief - not sure if this is true but i've heard good things.

The Tens machine i got was from a company called Med-Fit? - Any one ever heard of this company?
Got recommended by a friend of the family in the UK, spoke with their customer service (despite my poor experience with lloyds) and they were pretty darn good, helped me out quite a bit.

This is them: https://tensmachineuk.com/
sally wright
KG Regular

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-Intense- ... NrPXRydWU=

I got this one just over a year ago from Amazon. Very convenient to carry about with me (fits in a money purse) and the reusable pads are excellent (replacement pads are available). Not too many buttons to confuse things up. NOT to be used if you have a pace maker fitted (or any other such electrical devices eg insulin pump etc.

I don't find it helpful for muscular pain such as back spasms; but it is very good for joint, nerve (eg sciatica) and tendon pain. Although to be fair it might take two treatment periods back to back to get the full effect. It works best for me if I use it at the highest setting I can tolerate. I do move the pads slightly between treatments to avoid skin damage.

I tend to use it most to alleviate the pain between doing something stupid, regretting it and the pills taking effect....

Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic