Smelly dog!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

mazmezroz
KG Regular

Any of you out there got doggies???? We've just got another one after having lost our dear Jack Russell in November. We have brought Lizzie home today, and she has been bathed by the dog's home we got her from (she's a rescue dog, a tiny black terrier), but phworrrr worra niff!!!! She still smells BAD.

What can we do about it? I guess we shouldn't bathe her again just yet, but I do hope she smell sweeter soon, or we might lose all our friends!!!

Anybody got any advice?????
Guest Gill

It could be what she has been fed on! bathing her will do no harm as long as she is dried thoroughly before going out in the cold !good luck G
peter
KG Regular

Anal glands?

Bitch, spayed? Mild incontinence?

Re-wash with your choice of doggy medicated shampoo.
Bob Martin do a blue one with a nice smell.
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Bitch, spayed, but not a wee-smell, more just 'doggy' so don't THINK it's wee related. Has been poorly with kennel cough and pneumonia, so guess that might have something to do with it too???
peter
KG Regular

If it's Lizzie, check her ears, maybe Grock has been precticing ear-wax removal. :twisted:

See Liqued Gold thread.
Chantal
KG Regular

My Golden Retriever had an over active sebacious gland which made his coat a bit oily but glory did he whiff. I had to bathe him every week with special shampoo from the vet and he'd be OK but miss a bath and I didn't want him in the house. Ordinary shampoo didn't help (human or dog).

Just a thought but one of my cats used to get stinky paws when he was scared (at vet etc), used to smell very strange and cheesy. Is she scared or nervous?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
lizzie
KG Regular

I'm probably going to regret this but here goes.

I prefer to use half a Hot Milk Bath bar crumpled under the running water. Then, when i'm in the bath, I chuck in a Butterball. I stay there for 10 minutes then have a quick hose down.

And please, I beg you, if you're going to be sqeezing any glands WARM YOUR BLOODY HANDS FIRST.

Thank you
Lots of love

Lizzie
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

ha,ha now your admitting it,i alway knew you were a bitch:twisted:
Last edited by The Grock in the Frock on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
lizzie
KG Regular

Seriously though, my dog, Chiefie, has a wonderful habit of rolling in fox poo and dead fish. He also enjoys stagnant ponds and horse manure.

We pop him in the shower (he likes a shower) and we give him a shampoo and condition with baby shampoo and conditioner. He comes out of the shower all fluffy and sweet smelling. Until the next day when he goes for one of his walks.

When we got him from Dogs Trust he did whiff a bit. We used to wipe him down a few times a day with baby wipes. He was in a litter of 13 so it was hard to keep him clean.
Lots of love

Lizzie
lizzie
KG Regular

Cheeky buggar. :lol:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Jude
KG Regular

I've had 2 rescue dogs and they both ponged for a while, despite baths. I decided that it was just dog's home smell, as it wore off once they settled in and felt secure.
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Yeah, Lizzie, please don't take it personally re: name of my new mutt and slight (yes alright total) resemblence to your name. As I've never met you it was, I promise, just a co-incidence. I'm sure you smell lovely.

It was purely that she was called 'Fizzy' at the home and we din't like it, so decided on something that sounded similar. So your lovely name was the one we decided on!!!!!

I do hope you're all right about the pong wearing off. I have just gone back in the living room after a brief trip to the smallest room and .... well, let's say, I can tell we've got her ....

We could have to take shares out in air freshener ....
Tigger
KG Regular

OOoohh - I've got this urge to reply. Even though I might regret it. I'll wash pedigree dogs and associated smells, but only once a week.
lizzie
KG Regular

Meet Chiefie. Isn't he cute?

As for the naming her Lizzie, don't worry about it. To be honest I thought I would have had more stick by now. Especially by the Grock. However, Girls names Lizzie bring a certain class to things. Not quite sure what type of class but, nevertheless, we bring it.
Lots of love

Lizzie
lizzie
KG Regular

Don't fight the urge. My attitude is, if you've got an itch, scratch it
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic