Liquid Gold

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

I have just read an amazing book called "Liquid Gold, the Lore and Logic of using Urine to Grow Plants" (available from Amazon). I've long known about pouring "night water" on your compost heap (thank you Bob Flowerdew) but this book also advocates diluting urine with water and using directly around the plants. Test results would seem to be amazing eg onions given just water weighing an average of 37gm compared to onions given urine/water weighing an average of 93gm. I'm going to give it a go, at least it's free!
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
nog
KG Regular

I think you can only use male urine, femail has too much horemone in it.

So you will have to get a donor.
Chantal
KG Regular

According to the book you can use either, it specifically mentions hormones being in the water. In Scandanavia they now have ecovillages where each house has a separator toilet so the urine is collected in big tanks which are then collected and the contents used on the local farms. I think if anyone's on the pill or hormone replacement therapy this could be a problem but the book states that urine from any normal, healthy person can be used.

I have asked my OH to contribute to the project and his face had to be seen to be believed. He already struggles with the concept of sitting on the loo with our cat sitting in her cat litter next to him. (She likes company; we keep wanting to offer her the colour supplement). Now he's faced with a container of pee in there too... I can't see the problem, we recycle just about everything else.
Chantal

paul.r

this had no end of coverage not too long before the old forum finished. If you can find it in the archive it just went on and on as you can imagine. the liquid gold book got a mention...rgds paul.
Chantal
KG Regular

I'll have a look, it just takes a very long time to go through everything and the search isn't much use. Have you any idea when as I've not seen it before?
Chantal

The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

to pee or not to pee, that is the question :?
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Tigger
KG Regular

Just contact Bob Flowerdew - he's your wee wee man. Or - to put it in a more acceptable manner - he's your cider recycle man.
paul.r

hello Chantel, I'm still looking but i put in "urine" (not literally) and the search came up with your one for emergancy toilets. nov 3rd 05. but thats not the one, I think Johnboy made a contribution and i remember describing my very own p..s pot. I'll keep looking..paul.
paul.r

Well Chantel, finally found it and it wasnt so recent. Allen Cartwright posted on june 22nd that he had tipped a bucket of pee on his rhubarb and it was the best hed ever had.15 replies. It sort of deteriated into lots of pee quips (on this forum surely not) and the Late John Seymour got a mention. Liquid gold was there at no 15 with the website www.greenbooks.co.uk as a source. The follow up post "re using urine" was myself describing my p..s pot with 10 replies. on june 24. None of it earth shattering but all in the style of the old forum, Trawling thru there were plenty of familiar names then, that i dont see now ( where are you now?) I think in my mind the three posts yours on emergancy toilets and the other 2 had merged into one big post. I'll check first next time before recomending the old forum...rgds paul.
vivie veg
KG Regular

Pee is not only good for your plants but good for YOU too.

It is a very good antiseptic, antifungal (dandruff and athelete's foot) skin softener, reduces acne etc. Simply apply directly to the necessary area. Also if you need Hormone Replacement Therapy, get the real stuff, by asking for donations from a teenage girl and drinking it diluted 50:50! (If you can find one that is not too squeemish!). You can drink your own diluted urine as a general 'Pick me up'.

DON'T drink it if the donor is on medication or artifical hormones!

My family think I'm OTT! But nobody pinches my apple juice...just incase!
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Chantal
KG Regular

Paul, thanks for looking. I had a squint too and only came up with the same as you and it takes hours to trawl through the old forum; I've been through it twice before looking for stuff and life's too short!

Vivie, I believe you on all the remedies, Liquid Gold lists a whole lot more too and the "Lore" section is mind boggling. :shock: Call me picky, but I can't imagine going to a wedding an knocking back a jug of the bride's urine instead of champagne! However, my vegetables will have no such scruples, even if I did tell them. :twisted:

My collection is going well; so well in fact that I must scoot up to the plot and irrigate a compost bin after work... :oops:

Thanks guys
Chantal

peter
KG Regular

:!: :!: :!:
I though Chantal was taking the P on an industrial scale, but Vivvie you have topped the chart. :oops:

Just keep taking the hepatitus tests. :twisted:
Railway Child
KG Regular

Following on from Vivie's post, when I had a body piercing done some years ago the "piercer" advised that I clean the piercing with my own urine daily in order to prevent infection and speed up the healing process....it worked a treat!

RC
nog
KG Regular

It is actually sterile when it comes out of the tap (so to say). Got any leather shoes that are too tight, pee in them then put them on. It will streach and soften the leather.
paul.r

all these years i've been pouring it on my compost heaps and it looks like its the bl..dy elixier of life! anything we shouldnt do with it?..... peed off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic