So scared of cataract operation

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Happymouse
KG Regular

Waiting for a cataract operation. Tactful Surgeon assured me this doesn't mean I am getting old - some people are born with them ! Asked for a general anesthetic. Comforting advice and reassurance needed desperately please...
lizzie
KG Regular

My Nanna had this surgery on both eyes at the ripe age of 90. She went in to the ward at 8am and was back at home with a cuppa and a biscuit by 3pm all done and dusted. Her eyes were fine but blurred for a little while. It then settled down and was great.

You'll be fine and, afterwards, you'll wonder what you'd worried about.

Good luck but everything will be fine :)
Lots of love

Lizzie
Bren
KG Regular

Happymouse
Don't worry you won't feel anything, I had both my eyes done about 6-8 years ago, 4 months between one and the 2nd one. When the first one was done and the dressing taken off next day I couldn't believe how sharp and clear all the colours were.
There is one problem when I looked in the mirrow and saw all the wrinkles ooch.

Bren
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Happymouse, a pretty blonde haired 38 year old woman i know had both eyes done not so long back, she too was very nervous, but said it was no where near as bad as what she had imagined.
The operations were a total success apart from one thing, apparently i wasn't as handsome as she used to think i was. :evil: :lol: :wink:

Hope that cheers you up a little. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Happymouse

My boss had both eyes done a couple of years ago (he's in his early 50s) and he's fine.

I think the anticipation is far worse than the actual event.

Good luck :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
retropants
KG Regular

Hi Happymouse,
my late Grandma :cry: had hers done a few years ago, and after being very nervous about the first one, couldn't wait to go back to get the other one done. She did look odd without her specs though, as she had worn them as long as I've been around, and thats somewhere between 30 & 40 years!! :wink:
pongeroon
KG Regular

A nice old chap along the road from us had his done last year and was so worried about it before it happened.

Now he is fine, its taken years off him.

It will be fine :D
Happymouse
KG Regular

I wasn't worried until the nurse said I will need 2 weeks off work after the op which made it all sound worse !
Chantal
KG Regular

That does seem a while; my boss was back the following day. However, he never does as he's told so they probably did tell him to take a fortnight off :roll:

You'll probably find it's all down to compensation culture and they're covering their backs "just in case" :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Happymouse,
My mum had cataract done a couple of years ago. I think they say two weeks purely to ensure that you reduce the risk of infection - one set of drops they give you are antibiotics. My mum was in & out in a flash and even though her pupil was still dilated from the op, she could already see better in that eye than the 'un-done' one. One of the tips they gave her was to practice putting in her eye drops before the op - they gave her a dropper bottle with sterilised water in it to have a go. Might be worth trying.
Very best of luck,
Vivien
mazmezroz
KG Regular

My mum has had both eyes done. She's a real whimp when it comes to anything 'medical', and she was absolutely fine. She didn't find it distressing at all, and was thrilled with the results. So good luck and try not to worry too much!!!
Happymouse
KG Regular

At last I have a date ! Having my eye operation on 27th December. I have been practicing with eyedrops as you suggested Vivien. At work they have covered my shifts until 14th January. I hope I can do something in the garden then if I'm careful.
Primrose
KG Regular

Dear Happymouse, If it's of any reassurance to you, a friend of mine who has just hit 60 has had cataract operations on both eyes during these past few months. She says that the anticipation of the operation was worse than the actual event, and more importantly, she can now drive without her glasses, which she hasn't been able to do for years. Don't let the impending date spoil your Christmas. Am sure, in retrospect, it will be one of the best presents you have had if your eyesight improves as a result.
peter
KG Regular

F-I-L has just had both eyes done for cataracts AND glaucoma.

He thought he had picked up an infection in them on sunday, turned out it was the stiches irritating the eyes.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Sue
KG Regular

Good Luck Happymouse, but don't worry too much.

My father-in-law has had both eyes done now for cataracts and glaucoma as well. He never goes to the doctor and is really anti any medical treatment, but he was forced to give in on this one. He said it was a breeze and so worthwhile he doesn't know why he didn't get it done years ago.

Basic hospital advice is usually to have at least a week off after a general anesthetic, so I'm sure they are just erring on the side of caution.

Sue
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic