Allotment Projects - Ideas please?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

GIULIA
KG Regular

We have two pairs of allotment plots at the bottom of our site (95 plot strong) in Liverpool which have been out of action for many years because of a serious flooding problem. Hey Presto - this year we finally got tens of thousands of pounds worth of drainage work done, so now we can tackle this land. They're far too rough to simply turn over to people as plots and we're also thinking about having a project or two instead. I read recently about a site that put up a giant poly-tunnel to let out in bays which seems to have been very successful. I've been nominated to take over as chair of our allotments society this year and I want to make the reclamation of this land a priority, so I'm fishing for ideas on how to
a) clear the land efficiently (it will probably need mechanical equipment)
b) put it to best community use.
This land is far from the useful amenities we have on site such as toilets and electricity, so it wouldn't really be suitable for schools use, and as we have two community schemes on site already, we're really looking for a way to benefit our own members here.
All ideas will be gratefully received. I want to draw up a list of possibilities for members to discuss and vote on by the end of the year.
Thanks in anticipation.
Giulia x :D
peter
KG Regular

Just to be clear, that's forty rod all in a block?

If so cut and clear all shrubs etc, weedkill the whole area and when all the nettles etc are dead make friends with a farmer.

Who could bring a tractor with a chisel plough or ripper to go through the whole area and rip out the bramble and blackthorn roots whilst breaking the ground roughly.

Then you can get at it with forks, followed by site rotovator.

The community polytunnel idea sounds good for the benefits, but is easily vandalised and will need recovering after a number of years..

Do you have a communal delivery area for site deliveries of farmyard manure by the lorryload?

A site wildlife pond to encourage frogs and toads?

You could do all three and have room to spare on forty rods. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Jenny Green
KG Regular

How about an orchard?
Depending on the commitment of your members, I would be looking for something relatively low maintenance that would also take a minimum of organisation to share out fairly amongst everyone. An orchard would just need the grass cutting every month or so during the summer and if you choose the right rootstocks and varieties (taking good advice on what's suitable for your area) there'll be little in the way of pruning required.
It'll also be something to benefit members decades from now. A real asset to the site.
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
carlseawolf
KG Regular

a natural area with pond and wild flowers and benches for tired gardeners to rest while having there dinner , it should all be fairly low maintinance and encourge wildlife onto your plots ( bees , toads and frogs ) and maybe a goverment grant.
A seed planted today will make a meal tomorrow
www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf
fen not fen
KG Regular

A site near my old allotment had a problem of some plots near the river that suffered from occasional flooding, shade from large trees and occasional vandalistic forays when the river was low. They turned them into a communal area with blackthorn along the river edge for wildlife and to discourage the invaders and stop the plotters' children venturing too near the water. Then they planted shrubs, fruit trees, benches etc and had a lawned area and a shelter. As far as I know it was really successful.

The communal polytunnel is a great idea but I think it would be better near the amenities as water/electric and being visible will all be useful to it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic