Hotpoint Dishwasher

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

We have an Hotpoint Aquarius dishwasher at work that I bought from a local dealer in April of this year. Yesterday it started emptying water all over the floor.

I called the dealer this morning and they said it was under warranty and gave me the number of Hotpoint.

I called Hotpoint who were very helpful and said they could get someone out very quickly. However, because it was a commercial premises, there would be a call out charge of £89.98 :shock:

This dishwasher is used less than a domestic one and if I brought it home and called them it would be a free call out and repair.

I told Tim about this and he said he had the same problem with a new washing machine at the restaurant. There was no guarantee/warranty because it was a domestic appliance in commercial premises.

Is this legal?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal, i bet it is in the small print some where on the warranty, but it will probably be that small it would be a job to read. :evil:
I know this goes for a lot of tools used commercialy.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Unfortunately for you, Chantal, it is perfectly legal. All domestic appliances' guarantees are invalid when the appliance is used for commercial purposes.
Chantal
KG Regular

Oh well, it's no more than I thought.

Thanks guys. :cry:
Chantal

John
KG Regular

Hello Chantal
I guess the others are right about using a domestic appliance in a commercial situation.
The makers always seem to have excessive call-out charges - is there a local man who can help you at a more reasonable price?

It sounds as though a pipe is leaking. If its not an electrical fault the machines are easy to fix for a handy-type of person. Unless they are built into a unit they will pull out from the wall and if you tip them on their side all the pipes and pumps are easy to get at. Spares are easy to get.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks John, I'm lucky that I do have a friend who has already had a look at the thing and it seems a door seal is faulty. I'm ordering a new one he'll fit it for us.

Far from the Hotpoint price, I have to force money on him when he comes out to us. This is the fourth time he's helped us out with a dishwasher problem (not the same machine) and keeps insisting it's "not a problem". I've made him take some money this time as we feel guilty about calling him. :roll: He used to have a repair shop but has changed careers.

It's not the money or even the inconvenience that bothers me, it's the principle of the whole thing. This dishwasher is used far less than if it was in a domestic setting with a family of four and yet when it breaks down after a couple of months there's no warranty. Presumably if this happened on the day of installation the same rule would apply :!:

Regards

Grumpy of Rugby :x
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal, your friend sounds a good old boy, their are still some of us out there that still get pleasure from helping out old people. :)

I find you can't beat a washing up bowl for reliabilty. :wink:

And cheer up Chantal, grumpy really doesn't suit you. :lol:

Chantal
KG Regular

Old? A washing up bowl? You do like to live dangerously OH.

I don't mind washing up at home but I'm damned if I'm going to do it at work. In any case, they pay me far to much to have me employed up to my elbows in suds each day! :D

What's more if I want to be grumpy then I will be grumpy. Hurrumph.

Off to the plot to chill out for a bit. 8)
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sorry Chantal, you must forgive my dangerous lifestyle. :) :wink:

Weed
KG Regular

I think I would invest in a telephone call to your local Trading Standards Office...if purchased in April then surely it should last a bit longer than four months
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
madasafish
KG Regular

After prior experiences, I avoid all Hotpoint products.
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm on my second Hotpoint washing machine, the first lasted 10 years before the bearings went and this one has also gone for 10 years. Both my fridge and freezer are also Hotpoint and chugging along in their 8th and 15th year respectively. So generally I've had no problems.

This I just find frustrating, I guess a call to Trading Standards can do no harm.

Thanks guys.
Chantal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic