PUMKINS

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

the other half has only had his plot 1 yr now and asked me today about growing pumkins,which i havn't got a clue about.has anyone got any info or tricks of the trade for us.he has bought..connecticut field,queensland blue,and hundredweight.
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Chez is the pumpkin Meister. Having sampled one of her crown prince, I ordered a packet of seed straight a way. It was scrumptious.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
LakeView
KG Regular

Ah! See my post on Sat 14th Jan to 'Are Butternut Squashes worth Growing?' - I give detailed planting instructions that (nearly) guarantee success! (my favourite tricks of the trade)

As for variety, I am pretty sure Queensland Blue and Crown Prince are both squashes not pumpkin. I grow Small Sugar variety pumpkins for pies and cooking. I've grown Oz and Mars with some success, and Jack Be Little and Baby Boo for baking whole and stuffing (vegetarian alternative at Thanksgiving). I will also try Connecticut Field this summer (lived in that state for 4 years some time ago!). The Hundredweight and Atlantic Giant are all about size and show and outdoing your neighbours -- and not necessarily for eating or carving faces for Halloween. It all depends upon what he wants to do with the pumpkin, I suppose!

Basically, sow seed in 4" pot with heat 3 weeks before last frost; harden, then plant out as described in my posting (in a prepared hole with compost and manure and lots of water etc).

Good luck!
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

thanks for that :D
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

iv'e just gone through all of the forum but cant find it .what one is it on?
mandylew
KG Regular

have brought it back up
LakeView
KG Regular

Thanks Mandylew. Look for my 'Turk's Turban' avitar -- on Page 1. (even johnboy complimented me via pm on the post so I know it has some merit :wink: !)
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Grock

There is little for me to add to this, except to say I don't see how you could go wrong with Lakeview's method. It is certainly more diligent than what we do, which is - sow one seed/9cm pot, harden off and plant out into soil with about 1/2 bucket of manure per plant. Water with a watering can regularly. We don't mulch them, either. it could be argued that we should(?). We did have great success with Crown Prince and Halloween pumpkins this year, but I have never grown the varieties you mention so cannot comment on those varieties specifically.

Lakeview - re my mention of the dark green 'pumpkin' I grew up with in NZ and couldn't remember the name of, I have checked with Mum and they are buttercups! She also reminded me they can be variable in taste (in NZ). When they are good they are brilliant - quite dry and very sweet (that's what I remember), but sometimes their taste is a bit lacking. Whereas she finds Crown Prince more consistent. I had forgotten this, as I wasn't growing them back then, just eating them! Still, I now have buttercup seeds and will be pitting them against CP this season. Will keep you posted. In NZ Crown Prince is definitely considered a true blue pumpkin - interesting how terms differ across the various oceans.
Chez
KG Regular

Piggers - glad you enjoyed it! OH was telling me he was listening to a chef on the radio recently, who proclaimed Crown Prince to be the only pumpkin worth using in for culinary purposes. Much as it is our favaourite for taste (to date), I wouldn't go quite that far and find bland pumpkins are better in some recipes. There, you will sleep better tonight knowing all that, won't you?
LakeView
KG Regular

Aw! Chez, you have tried Buttercup! We on the other side of the Pond have recently lamented that growers all seem to be breeding the buttercup to be more moist. We all grew up loving the very dry tasty flesh. In fact, to my whole family, there is no other variety than buttercup (hence my vigour in defending them)!

Have to admit that a) I never had heard of CP until coming here and b) the 6 beautiful fruits I grew last summer still remain uneaten (I had the buttercup first!). But it does show that they keep well! I even have one on my front doorstep waiting to come inside for a meal (but please don't tell anybody!)

I shall sleep better knowing that there is at least one other person on this forum that has tried buttercup...
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Lakeview

Yes, you have a kindred buttercup spirit here. Being a Kiwi, I grew up with both Crown Prince pumpkins and Buttercups. Interesting that Buttercups are being bred for moistness - a great shame. Mum seems to think they vary from year to year too and buttercup to buttercup, so perhaps this explains some of the variation(?). I do remember a good buttercup is even better than CP.

Once you get around to trying your CP, I will be keen to hear how you think they compare.
peter
KG Regular

At the risk of telling granny how to suck eggs or repeating others advice.... :)

Remember they really really hate frost, put em out too early and loose the lot. :oops:

Crown Prince seeds are a bit dear, but I reckon they are the best I have grown so far. I tried eleven varieties last year and am on twelve for this year. :!:

Crown Prince, Butternut and Delikata are my favourite three in declining order of size.

Delikata is well worth a punt, looks like a huge stripey round-ended slug, but the flavour is divine.

Festival also rates as a stuffing squash.

Try http://www.edwintucker.com/Seeds/seeds%20index.htm for more reasonably priced squash seeds.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

THANKS EVERYONE :D
Geoff
KG Regular

Those are my CPs on the seat of the picnic table. They do well but I find them a bit too sweet.

I grow all my courgettes, squashes and pumpkins in one 10x25' bed with Sweet Corn growing through. One of the problems I have had is wind damage while they are establishing - I am quite exposed at 600'. So I put a metre high windbreak round the entire bed. It has the advantage of turning them back on themselves when thet turn into triffids. When I harvest them in the Autumn I move the netting to the late greens to protect the sprouts and purple sprouting.
Chez
KG Regular

Nice looking collection, Geoff! What is the large sandy-coloured one on the top left?
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic