Shredded paper in compost

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

right about the stamps and every thing else.why r u always right :roll:
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Sue
KG Regular

I'm sure I read something about this and it was an experiment the HDRA were doing using 70% high carbon waste and 30% high nitrogen waste. The carbon stuff was shredded paper and cardboard and the nitrogen was hot rot stuff like lawn clippings. Anyone else remember this - could be a good way to use up a lot of paper waste.

Liz - you're right - it's not me it's the rest of them. I'm sooooo sensible I don't even understand half the posts on this forum :wink: Well OK, I confess the OH has been known to come and find me in the spare room as I'm laughing so loud reading the forum, I'm disturbing his TV watching. A nice mix of helpful info and battiness is fine by me :D
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

dont recall the HDRA one but i got my idea from the C.A.T centre in north wales,anyone ever been there,its sound.chantal...is that pic you sailing,i used to do a little myself many moons ago when i taught canoeing.
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks Sue, I'm going to start using the stuff this weekend and I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Yes Grock, that is me in an earlier life. I'm the one in the pink on the trapeze at the 505 World Championships at Hayling Island. I retired some years ago as summer sailing was great but in the winter, ugh. Sailing a 505 over the winter was a bit like being tied to the roof rack of a car being driven at 20 miles an hour whilst someone hoses you down with freezing water. I saw sense and took up gardening instead and never looked back. Like the photo though, it was that or my chickens and lots of people have chicken avatars. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

very ,very cool,takes some bottle.the biggest i ever got in was a topper,not very cool :(
Chantal
KG Regular

Not so much cool as bloody freezing most of the time. This was before dry suits were used so it was wet suit only. Many's the time we had to put the ropes in buckets of water before we could tie knots in them and break the ice to go on the water. Sometimes I couldn't blink because my eyeballs seemed to freeze up with the water washing over me. I must have been insane! :shock:

Nothing wrong with Toppers Grock, you're on your own out there. I just did what I was told (most of the time). 8)
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

I bring home any shredded paper for the compost bins and all stamps for dogs for the blind. Did you know that they have had a significant drop in stamp contributions since people started sending e-cards rather than posted cards for birthdays/Easter/Christmas/whatever.
lizzie
KG Regular

You must have been barking to get into one of those things. I like boats and quite enjoy going out on the water but I wouldn't go in one of those. I'd be too scared :shock: I went on a glass bottomed boat in Fleet and it was fab. The water was so clear you could see crabs etc scurrying along the bottom. The seaweed waving in the current and all the fish swimming by. Also, I never realised how vibrant the colours were on the bottom of the sea. I've seen this on TV but to see it for myself was fabulous.

A really sad part was all the spider crabs being loaded onto a trawler to be shipped off to Spain and France. Apparently, people in this country won't eat them ut they're a delicacy over there.

As for shredded paper, it's fine to bung in the compost and you're doing another little bit for recycling.

Sorry, gone off on one again.
Lots of love

Lizzie
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

I use shredded office paper - of which there is terrifying amount in the world! - as the base for my wormery bedding mixed with coir. I get through tons of the stuff - literally - offices actually pay me to take it away and I return the plastic bags that line the shredders so they can be used again. Its a lot cheaper to pay me to take it than the cost of landfill tax they pay through their commercial bin collection and they use less plastic bags for the machines and in some cases they use the fact they are so environmentally friendly as good PR for the company. The only think I stress they must not include - under threat of me refusing to collect from them - is the self carbon paper used for making duplicate/triplicate copies - its easy to spot cos its usually pastel colours. It is toxic to the worms. Most printing inks are now Soya based. I find its wonderful stuff but I soak it in tanks of rain or 'grey' waste water before I use it. It turns to mush after 24 hours and a bit of agitation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic