hedgehogs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

jane E
KG Regular

When did you last see a hedgehog? I haven't seen one dead or alive for ages and ages.PLEASE,PLEASE don't use slug pellets. I'm sure they must have a detrimental effect on slug predators such as hedgehogs and thrushes.I have recommended ash before. It's very effective against slugs and inexpensive.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

at the bottom of my plot i have a wildlife garden,well thats what i tell the commitie anyway,i have a big pile of logs thats been there for about 4 yrs now,and im sure harry has made a home there,but sadly ive only seen a dead one on me lawn :(
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Tony T.
KG Regular

I was up the allotment last autumn and heard this really loud crunching in the long grass. It was a hedgehog eating snails. Great to see (and hear). He, or she, was quite tame too. I was glad then that I don't use slug pellets.
Regards Tony.
mandylew
KG Regular

we overwintered one in the greenhouse last year, completely cleared the garden of slugs, first year ever I had hostas with no holes. Released him in the spring as he would have outgrown his way in (we have a tortoise and rabbit escape proof garden). Slugs came back :cry:

mandy
fen not fen
KG Regular

Our new rabbit fence will also keep out any hedgehogs - does anyone know if there is a hedgehog sanctuary in Lincolnshire that might have ones that need re-homing, as we could offer them 2 acres of prime slug territory with lots of long grass etc to hide in...
pigletwillie
KG Regular

There is a hedgehog rescue in Leicester which is not too far away, they are often looking for suitable gardens to rehome 3 legged hoggers and the like.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
Not sure how current it is, but try this link for Lincs...
http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/venueDetails.asp?venuecode=334

Clive.
fen not fen
KG Regular

I'll check out the Louth place - piglet - where is the leicester one, i'm from leicester and am due a visit soon.
peterf
KG Regular

cant agree more,i work on a large farm estste and the overuse of chemicals i see is frightening.in my garden, i installed 2 smallish ponds about 8 years ago theres now no need for slug pellets at all as the frogs seem to sort them out.a few unkempt areas of the garden seem to keep the hedehog well happy as well.thers nothing wrong with the odd corner of the plot looking like a wilderness,thats what gardening should be all about in my opinion.
lizzie
KG Regular

Well said Peter F. There's a plot where me and Grock have ours and it is pristine. There's not a weed, blade of grass or anything out of place. It is the saddest looking, sterile place in the world. There's no soul or love put into it. I like to see parts that have been left to go back to nature (you should see The Old Fart). It helps gardeners and wildlife.

Quite as you said. There should be more wild bits about for the sake of the environment
Lots of love

Lizzie
Beccy
KG Regular

He sounds like what are known to me and the other half as 'The old Scrot's' (as in scrotums, as in wrinkly and not very nice) :lol:

Hi Fen,

here is there website address.

leicesterhedgehogrescue.co.uk
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Sorry Fen, a misfire on logging in.

www.leicesterhedgehogrescue.co.uk
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic