Christine's Garden

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Sue
KG Regular

Anyone else been watching this on Fridays before the lurverly Mr T - last one this week sob :(

I've just been looking at the BBC gardening forum and she's getting a pasting on that. Bitchy comments saying it wasn't a proper gardening programme and even about her hair and clothes - that really cheeses me off because no-one would even mention it if she was a bloke :x

I liked the chatty, informal format and thought there was loads of info and advice in there, but just put over in a low key non-preachy way. Watching Christine scoffing her way round the veg plot just made me long for summer, cos that's my fave pastime as well.

Sue

yeh she was ok. at least she had been there and dun that (had an allotment whilst still in nappies you know.) more Christine I say, Meanwhile Mr Titmarsh just gets better with age, I loved his one about Kew that was good. I hated him when he took over when Geof popped his cloggs.(the all time best in my book) Alan's quite the elder statesman in the making. Again knows his stuff. been there and dun it for real.
valmarg

No, did not enjoy. It was an egotrip for someone who was totally uninteresting. Her voice was as grating as the late Fred Dibna, she was B0RING, BORING, BORING!!!!!!!

Thank goodness it's finished!!!!

valmarg

he was never my first choice but you couldnt beat him for enthusiasm or knowledge. Geofrey Smith ? is he still with us ?
Gill - Guest

He lives just outside Harrogate used to often see him at the garden centre in Killinghall often does talks etc in that area as that is where I used to live before I moved here nearly 3 years ago I do know where he lives but would not dream of putting it on the net that is his perogitive !(spelling!)

this site! if its not somebody sticking a skewer up some poor sods arse. its replies full of agression . everyones got a different angle on things but what did Fred Dibnah ever do to get a mention. Boring tells us how you feel, does it have to be x 3?
Chantal
KG Regular

Well I like all of them, Christine, Fred Dibnah, Geoff Hamilton, Alan Titchmarsh and yes, I like Monty Don too. It was Monty's "Allotment Special" a few years back that motivated me to ring the Council and I now have 3 allotments, so thank you Monty, you've changed my life.

I've now changed into my flack jacket and donned my tin hat waiting for the outrage this posting will no doubt cause. But for once folks, can we keep it civil and not make personal and very offensive attacks on poor sods who can't answer back?

Chantal :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

I'm with you Chantal - love them all. Anyone who's interested in gardening will do for me because they're bound to motivate someone else. Same goes for cookery programmes. Bring them on!
Gill - Guest

Me too will watch anything to do with gardening or cooking, some people are never happy unless they are complaining or having a go at someone, words of wisdom from my Dad 'when they are having a go at you at least they are leaving some poor b****r else alone' !
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

tigger and chantel,im joining your fan club,i like all of them,but am madly i luv with MY alan :D :D
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Thank goodness everyone's different! It doesn't matter who likes and who doesn't like who. What I am pleased about, however, is that there is actually a programme (Christine's garden) that has veggies in it!!!

I must admit she gets on my, um, nerves. I find her a rather immature and sometimes embarrassing individual, but it didn't stop me watching the programme and picking up lots of useful hints.

Nowadays, I sometimes feel a little shy of admitting I enjoy watching Alan T (or 'my mate Alan' as he's referred to in our house). But I like his tongue-in-cheek style, and the way he obviously enjoys playing to the camera.

So it's each to his own, folks, and long may it last. Both Christine/Alan-phobes and philes.
valmarg

Oh dear, I did go a bit OTT, regarding the above programme. I think I should replace the word boring with disappointing. It had been given such a good write up in the press, but, I suppose it didn't turn out to be what I had hoped/expected it to be. Also, I might just have been just a smidge 'tired and emotional!'.

At least I put my name to what I write (or rant) Guest.

I think Gardeners World is too focused on ornamentals these days. I used to like the programmes where they would go visit Arthur Billet at Clacks Farm. That dates me! The programme used to be more fruit and veg orientated, and that's what I miss.

Has anyone else seen the book about Gardeners World presenters? I came across it in a remaindered book shop. I didn't buy it, but it certainly brought back memories of presenters before Geoff Hamilton., ie Clay Jones and Peter Seabrook. Whether you liked the presenters or not, Gardeners World was what you watched on Friday nights.

valmarg
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
There was, not so long ago.??, a Gardeners World programme that revisited some of the old sites..
Clacks Farm featured...which I think was now a lawned garden with trees/shrubs.??. no longer the vast slabbed area for the massive old cameras to move about on..!!

I visited Barnsdale the week after Geoff Hamiltons passing. It was a pre booked PGG visit that I had assumed would be cancelled.. but Geoffs Wife had suggested that it should go ahead as planned.

Ian Spence.?? who welcomed us and gave an introductory talk about Barnsdale said he could not do the talk and explanation of the gardens and filming sets in the way Geoff could so he explained basically what was where and we were then invited to wander around.
The reclaim garden had just been built then and we saw the strawberry runners pegged in the pots that Geoff had showed on I think the last edition he did. I recall that Pussycat was curled up asleep in the aluminium greenhouse..

It was a very strange feeling walking around His patch so soon after his untimely passing....

Now, what was the programmme that featured Bertie Doe..?? etc at the RHS garden..?????

Clive.
Last edited by Clive. on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I enjoyed Christines enthusiasm but found the whole thing very unstructured and unimpressive.

I did enoy Fred Dibnah, a man who was definitely born in the wrong century, so enthusiastic and knowledgeable and able to practice skills that I fear died with him.

With regards to other presenters, the ones that shine are good old Alan, Monty and Sarah Raven. I find it annoying however that Monty refuses to even discuss things that arent organic. Whilst being totally organic is a laudable thing, those of us who have to work and dont have time or helpers to weed couch grass out by hand, a wee puff of roundup makes things so much easier to keep on top off. I never spray against pests, use slug pellets and try to be as organic as I possibly can but live in the real world and he should realise that most of us out here do too.

Sarah Raven is very good and actually gets her hands dirty unlike Rachael De Tame who I am sure is nothing more than a designer garden wear clothes horse.
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
valerie chambers
KG Regular

Oh my god Clive, you have really taken me back!!

I think the programmes you mention were filmed at Wisley Gardens, featuring Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter at Wisley.

The programmes were 'fronted' by Hannah Gordon, and obviously covered a year at Wisley, fruit, vegetables and flowers. Wasn't Bertie Doe the 'glasshouse' man who pronounced compost as 'compust'? Also there was Harry Baker in the fruit garden.

Now, am I a saddo, or am I a saddo?, but I have got the four programmes on tape.

I think the bottom line to this topic is that they don't make gardening programmes like they used to. But more importantly, they don't make programmes that the great gardening public want.

The allotment programme that was partly shown last year, I think in was called Dig This. It was so well advertised that I didn't get to hear about it until the third or fourth programme in the series. Obviously, when I had heard about it, I settled down to watch it, and what did I get 'Flog It'. No thank you.

Oh dear, yet another rant!

Best wishes,

valmarg
valerie m chambers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic