Candlemas

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin Miles
KG Regular

"If the day be fair and bright
Winter will have another flight
But if Candlemas Day brings
clouds and rain
Winter is gone and won't come again."

Candlemas for most will have been grey and dull and here in South Wales we even got a bit of very light drizzle in the morning. But it is very definitely wintry high pressure that is in charge, and our friends at www.metcheck.com see no change before mid-February. So button-up, keep planning and leave most of the sowing till March!
valmarg

As you have had no answers to your posting,I think you need to go to the "happy imbolc" site.

Candlemas was discussed in detail there.

Our rhyme is slightly different from yours:

If Candlemas be clear and bright
Winter will be back for another bite.
If Candlemas be cloud and rain
Winter's gone, and won't be back again

Best wishes,

valmarg
LakeView
KG Regular

Is that anything like Groundhog Day? (2nd Feb -across the Pond)
valmarg

As I said in my previous posting, go to "happy imbolc", and you will find they have both been discussed in great detail!!! (probably greater than you would really want to know).

It's on the general chatter site. Go visit!

valmarg
LakeView
KG Regular

Sorry - as I had no idea what 'imbolc' was, I didn't view the thread!
valmarg

Hi Lakeview,

I had no idea what Imbolc was until I went to the site and read the entries.

Curiosity killed the cat! Satisfaction brought it back. Roughly translated - I look at all of the sites. What sort of a saddoe does that make me?

Please don't amswer that.

Love and kisses

valmarg
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Groundhog day was originally celebrated on Feb 14th whilst Candlemas on Feb 2nd (also sometimes other dates) would, according to the Julian Calendar, be currently 14 days ahead of the current Gregorian Calendar in 'real' time. So 'Candlemas' really falls on Feb 16th and we have to wait till the end of Feb for Groundhog day.
Nigel

ooo honestly Its a bugger just trying to keep up with all this, when for heavens sake do I send my Valentine cards?
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

2 days befor the 14th,to the grock in l.pool,god i hate this day as i can never get past the sacks of cards sent to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic