Sowing beetroot in modules?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

LakeView
KG Regular

I've only recently heard people talk about sowing beetroots in modules before planting out. Now why does it work with beets but not carrots and parsnips? I'm confused!

How big a module and how big can you let them grow before transplanting, please?
Ian F

Parsnips and most carrots have tap roots, and if they are disturbed in any way the roots fork, and are useless. You can start round carrots in modules if you want, they grow just fine.

I grow baby beetroot "Action" and start 3 or 4 seeds in a module, before transplanting then out. I use the ones that are a decent size, six to a half tray, usually the ones I have saved from bedding plants.

As the plants grow they push each other out of the way, and seem quite happy.

I sow my maincrop in the open ground though, as the roots are bigger
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Beware, carrots and parsnips are roots, beetroot are in fact swollen stems.

It is easy to transplant beets but hard to transplant carrots/parsnips for the reason above, damage to the tap root.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Tigger
KG Regular

For the last few years, I've grown carrots and parsnips in dissolvable pots ( Poundland ), sowing seed in fresh compost, then removing the bottoms from the pots. Transfer these to a plot. Cover the carrots with a fleece tent. Success! Carrots and parsnips start off in soft compost, grow through pots into open beds. No disturbance. No carrot fly for the carrots.
LakeView
KG Regular

OK, thanks. Swollen stems is the key. I shall assume the same applies to swedes, kohl rabi and others too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic