Cleaning washing machine door seals

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

JohnN
KG Regular

Hi all
Rubber door seals on our AEG clothes washer have accumulated black mould which won't rub off with usual wiping. Clothes sometimes get 'black marks' on them. Probably caused because we don't often use a very hot wash, but can anyone suggest a product to remove it? Local Tescos sells Dettox mould remover, but small print says 'not suitable for rubber'.
Thanks, John N
Tigger
KG Regular

What about wiping it with bleach?
madasafish
KG Regular

Same problem here. We tried everything including sprays for mould etc. No effect. Now leave door ajar when not in use: reduces new growth..
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Tigger wrote:What about wiping it with bleach?

That's not a problem once or twice. Bicarbonite of soda is a better solution for regular use.
John
KG Regular

Hello JohnN
I've heard that hydrogen peroxide is good for mould growth in showers and around bath seals so it might work here. You can get it at a pharmacist.
Is the seal beginning to perish - this sometimes causes a black mould like deposit. These seals are usually simple to replace as they are just push fit into a groove in the door or frame metalwork. There are places on the web that supply all this sort of stuff. I even managed to get a replacement thermostat for our ancient fridge.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic