The Arrival of Spring

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

I think that spring is finally not long off. I was walking the dog through the woods yesterday and, right in the middle of a clearing, was a whole carpet of snowdrops with some crocus popping inbetween. It was a beautiful sight with loads more to be found as I walked around the woods. There were loads of buds on the trees and there were several puffballs around. Couldn't get to them, mores the pity, but never mind.

So, what do other people think heralds the arrival of spring?
Lots of love

Lizzie

The tiny weeds appearing all over the garden! Our resident buzzards start circling again (don't what they do over winter). And yet to come - the appearance of little clouds with legs and wiggly tails.
Chez
KG Regular

That was me above.
Chantal
KG Regular

My cat Rosie, having not set paw outside the house since early November, is occasionally to be seen sneaking out into the garden so I'm hopeful spring is approaching. She is old (heading toward 17) so I'm not sure she's a good indicator now; she might just have forgotten it's still winter. :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Chez,,

the buzzards that lurk around the quarry I work in have also just reappeared and have once again taken up the sport of dropping hares.

It is noticably lighter in the afternoon now and my rhubard has started to erupt, onions seeds have come up and the fruit bushes budding up well.

I know spring is really in the air when our resident amphibians (frogs, toads and a few newts) start to swarm to the pond for their annual "shagfest" before spending all summer keeping down the slugs so well that I get to have picture postcard hostas to enjoy.

I must dig a pond on my allotment.

Piglet
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Tigger
KG Regular

Apart from the snowdrops in my garden - for the first time this winter, I came out of work yesterday and it was light enough to see rather than dark and dismal. It's Candlemas next week, so we're half way through. It's also the Hindu festival of welcoming in Spring. Can you tell I've listened to The Archers - how else would I maintain my education?!
valmarg

Yes, yes, everything is coming on apace.

Let's get February under our belt before we get tooo enthusiastic about Spring!!!

I have known Februarys where the temperature has not come above freezing, day or night, for the whole of the month. That's what global warming does for you!

I really am as enthusiastic as anyone else to get winter out of the way, but I think you are being a smidge on the optimistic side.

February is, to my mind the worst month of the year

valmarg
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic