Christine's Garden

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Beryl
KG Regular

Did anyone watch Christine's Garden, BBC1 yesterday evening?
I was speachless when she said she had ordered 140 sacks of compost for mulching. I know 2006 was a very hot summer but I would have thought she could have found something a whole lot cheaper than that. Or perhaps the BBC are paying her a very good fee.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, i did watch it but i missed the number of sacks she said, that is an awful lot of compost though. :shock: I did notice it came in a removal lorry. :)

She really is a litte cutie. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
lynne
KG Regular

cutie? really?
she looks as if she could do with some decent foundation garments and a tube of hand cream!
Where do you go to my lovely, when you're alone in your shed...
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, I do enjoy the prog. she has a very infectous nature. but I do wonder if she would have done it if she hadn't been on the telly.
Beryl
KG Regular

Must be all that nibbling as she goes round the garden Lynne.
Compo
KG Regular

I am not keen on her style, just a bit too much of something... I don't know what.........really, I agreed about her look, she could try a bit harder me thinks....

Compo
Tigger
KG Regular

I'm speechless! That's a rare situation for me?! I can't stand this woman or her programme or the BBC for bothering with it. :evil:

I like her dog and her neighbour. The rest is pants!
Compo
KG Regular

I would rather see Terry on his allotment or something similar Tigger, what do you reckon.

Compo
Tigger
KG Regular

Definitely Compo. Can't stand that woman and her aeroplanes and munchies!!!!
lynne
KG Regular

I suspect that having her on the television is perhaps something of a backlash against the "glamorous" garden make over programmes. A sort of lesson in ordinary people are the real gardeners, it's not glamorous, it's hard work, you get sweaty and grubby doing it.
I don't really know anything about her background, but I'd put money on her having been either single all her life and therefore unaccustomed to the need for continued personal effort, OR, having been badly hurt early on and now doesn't give a fig for such unnecessary niceties.
I don't feel like I've learnt a great deal about gardening/plants having watched the programme, but I don't doubt her encyclopaedic knowledge, rather I blame the production team for concentrating on the interpersonal stuff. Perhaps because it's scheduled so close to Gardeners' World? Or perhaps it's aimed at the beginner?

I had sky+ed the latest programme and I thought she said that she was having 39 bags of compost delivered as opposed to 140, though I'm happy to be wrong!
I thought it was a rather wasted opportunity; she could have sourced it from the local Council's recycling facility, assuming they have one!

When all said and done it can only be a good thing having the television schedules taken up with gardening programmes; the less room then for the risible reality TV rubbish!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Some thoughtful words there Lynne, i think they are probably trying to put over her enthusiasm.
I think it's her kindness towards her neighbour that is very touching these days.
I quite agree about the programme not being very informative though.

alan refail
KG Regular

Lynne

Do I detect a hint of "fattism" in your first post :?:
I haven't seen the programme, but here's a link to her website:-

http://www.christinewalkden.com/

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
lynne
KG Regular

gosh no! I'm hardly sylph-like myself so I certainly don't poke fun at those on the more voluptuous side. However, a decent bra can make all the difference!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I always find it funny how men find the way women dress, totally different to the whey women find it.

I think all you bokes know what i mean. :wink:

Cider Boys
KG Regular

I actually enjoy Christine's programme but I agree it could be more informative. It is a great shame that the producers have not seen to use Christine’s knowledge in a more instructional programme.

Christine Walkden has more gardening wisdom in her little finger than the rest of the media pleasing pretty boys and girls put together.

Barney
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic