What have you Busy Easter Bunnies been up too?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Compo
KG Regular

Easter is the traditional time to get gardening....wonder what folk have been up to today and what plans do they have for the rest of weekend, given that most of us have great weather?

Today I have been tidying up the back garden, cutting grass and hedges, emptying old containers. Then got up the allotment for a few hours. Me mate Dick is building a new shed complete with verandah and everything. All from recycled stuff too.

Went to the plot this afternoon andhave been digging and spreading manure on the raised beds, ready to plant my second earlies and maincrop potatoes. Will go back tomorrow and rotovate and hopefully plant the spuds. Must get some more seeds sown in the greenhouse too....no time for anything it seems.

Compo
jopsy
KG Regular

spent 2 hrs in the garden weeding and tidying, doing the same tomorrow-but for longer!
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Compo, i was working yesterday making someone elses garden look lovely for the weekend.
Also working monday morning for the same reason.

But today and tomorrow i'm going to do some gardening for myself just for a change. :)

It always is a very busy time of the year, but i must say that i still love it as much as ever.

Looks like we a being blessed with some gorgeous weather again today.
So lets all get out there and enjoy our lives. :D :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

I potted off my cabbage seedlings, counted the strawberry flowers in the polytunnel. Then went to pick up some compost at the local garden centre, got scared by the holiday traffic and made my mind up to stay at home for the foreseeable future :!:
After that shock I decided was was time for me - at last - to start getting my potato beds ready for planting over the weekend.
Today it looks like pricking out lettuce, potting off tomatoes, getting those potato beds finished, grass cutting and clearing up for my wife who is getting the rest of the garden into shape.
And I'll let the holidaymakers throng the roads. Talking of which, I was hooted loudly by a family in a large car towing a caravan, apparently because I had the nerve to slow down to turn into the garden centre yesterday :evil: Must have taken at least 20 seconds off their holiday.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Lots of pricking out and potting on, and more sowing today. Planting out some cabbage under cloches as the cabbage whites are out already.
I also have to repot my lemon verbena and bay as their pots have become infested with ants while they were in the greenhouse over winter :x .
I'm hoping today to do the final bit of hard landscaping this garden needs, which is a slab path down the the big old garage at the end of the garden. I think digging's going to be hard, though, as the weather's been so dry lately. I really must move west!
Now, what's DH done lately I can make him feel guilty about so he'll come and help me? :wink:
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
Clive.
KG Regular

Too hot for chasing any Bunnies..
....but just the weather for Sunbathing :) Image
...on a Broad Bean row :roll:
Tigger
KG Regular

That's spooky - I found my dog fast asleep, on her back, on top of a lovely patch of tulips down the orchard today. :x

As for what's been happening so far this long weekend - lots of pricking out (flowers, tomatoes, chillies, peppers, melons, cucumbers, courgettes, cape gooseberries). Overdone it as usual - just what can I do with 70 Charentais Melon plants and over 80 Cape Gooseberries?

I've also sown more broad beans, peas, beetroot and carrots.

Stared at the emerging asparagus. Can't wait for that first plateful!

Stared at the soil in which I sowed parsnips - no sign of any germination, after weeks.

Taking a break tomorrow as my brother and his wife are coming for lunch before he goes off to climb in Yosemite for a month. Then it will be back to the garden again on Monday, I hope!
Bren
KG Regular

Planted out 18 cauliflowers and netted them plenty of white butterflies about, planted red desirre( not sure of spelling) pink fir apple and rettie potatoes, planted the seed onions out, and transplanted some plum tomatoes in the cold greenhouse that lot kept me busy and my back is aching now.
Bren
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Is anyone starting to run short of room in their greenhouses yet, i've had to have a shift round already. :)

Jenny Green
KG Regular

Yes, had to move the temporary shelves in there yesterday. Don't know what I'm going to do when they fill up. :? Anything that goes on the floor immediately gets colonised by ants.
Still, the birds are having a lovely time in there. I've had to leave shutting it up for a while as there's a greenfinch in there I panicked when I went to shut it up earlier. Left him trying to get out of the roof. Hope he's gone when I try again in a minute.
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
lizzie
KG Regular

Had plans to go down to the lottie for some seed sowing/potting on/digging etc.

Instead, spent the morning sorting out some thieving barsteward of a company who has taken money out of my bank account without authorisation form me. I'd cancelled my old car insurance cos my little punto is now scrapped, and went and got another car and new insurance. The company then went into my account using another company name and reference code and took the cash. :evil:

Then, on top of that, my new insurance company took 2 months premiums out of my account. When asked I was told it was a computer error. :evil: So, yours truly here lost her temper (not something I do often) I politly told them to stop insulting my intelligence and when am I getting my cash back. I was informed it "might be in my account next Thursday" :evil:

All in all, i'm out of pocket by £150 this month which isn't good. I'm going to Dublin at the end of the month and that was my commemorative tattoo/piercing money that i've been saving up for ages. The bank were useless too so will be changing that as well. Letters have been written but not yet sent as I write complaints while in a temper, so need to re-do them when calmer :wink:

So, Lizzie is not a happy Easter Bunny and didn't do the lottie. Me digging whilst in a temper is not good for my back. Will go tomorrow. All in all, those companies had better watch out...... :twisted:
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Lizzie, you do make a fuzz about nothing. :twisted: :D :wink:

I've had the nicest of days :)

lizzie
KG Regular

Ohhhhhh Herby, what's fuzzy? :?

You always make me smile...... :wink:

Still, things happen to try us.

We had a wonderful day yesterday. We went to the beech with the dog and went for a really long walk along the Wirral Way. It was beautiful and clear, looking out across the Irish Sea. We could see the Fylde coastline to the left and the North Wales coastline to the right. Out in the Irish Sea we could see the oile rigs that are about 15 miles out. There were birds everwhere, loads of bunnies running about on the dunes. Fab.

Then we walked back across the top of the dunes and sat down overlooking the 18th hole on the golf course. There we applauded the golfers if the actually putted anything (not many did) and then rubbed it in by mentioning the fabulous put from Justin Rose on the first round of the Masters :twisted:

Then we walked a very tired dog (he'd been swimming, playing ball, football, and frisbee) back to the car and home. All in all, about an 6 mile leisurely stroll on a beautiful spring day.
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Lizzie, i've always spelt it like that since primary school, much to the annoyance of my english teachers. :twisted:

Glad you had a nice day yesterday, you deserve it. :)

Bet the peoples ears are still ringing who you rang today. :twisted:

Lizzie you make me smile too. :twisted: :) :wink:

Compo
KG Regular

Everything takes more time than we want it to eh? I will have to make a list and prioritise myself. Spent today preparing the beds for the rest of the spuds second earlies ready to go in any day now....

I now need to get on and sow some more seeds, as I have no cabbage caulis in yet, and in fact neither do I have any leeks either. I want to put in a second batch of carrots and my shallots so I am well behind, but hey we will get what we will get I am sure.

I also have some tidying structural jobs to get on with as well, good job I have a few more days off work and the sun as they say is ' cracking the flags '

Good luck with the rest of the weekend, the weather continues to be good, down here in SW at least. And being on the lottie sure beats being on the M5 with all the other grockles....

Compo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic