What have you Busy Easter Bunnies been up too?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Sue
KG Regular

I've been working all weekend except today :cry: I'm due in tomorrow as well, but it's my last day before I move to my new job :D :D :D

Made the most of my day off and the sunshine today. Cleared out and scrubbed the greenhouse ready for the main onslaught. Also cleaned out the chickens and did a full scrub out on their pad - they were not amused and stood on the top of the hen house making a lot of racket until it dried and I could put the litter and nest boxes back in. I assumed they were busting to lay, but the moment the house was back to normal they ignored it totally and went in for some sun bathing instead :roll:

Finished the day with some more seed sowing - sweetcorn, more tomatoes for outdoors, basil and squashes 8)
Gilly C
KG Regular

Good luck in your new job :wink:
lynne
KG Regular

had a lovely weekend!
The Asst.Est.Mgr mowed the lawns and clipped the edges top perfection in readiness for some friends coming over for the evening on Friday. He got absolutely bladdered and snuck into bed apologising for feeling "a bit sicky, baby - got a bucket just in case. If I sicky, I sorry. Love you baby" :? So that rather wrote Saturday off as his liver taught him a lesson for most of the day! I planted some of the new bed, then watered all the tomatoes etc.
Today I potted on what felt like hundreds of basil, coriander and white nigella. I hoiked up half a dozen alchemilla which had self sown - free plants!
We went out for a blast on the bikes, got a bit carried away and almost had my knee down until I remembered I wasn't wearing my leathers with sliders!
When we got home we planted my Easter present: a Medlar!
Then we had dinner on the terrace and watched the stars.
Off to bed now with Horlicks. The Asst.Est.Mgr is looking miffed :lol:
Where do you go to my lovely, when you're alone in your shed...
alan refail
KG Regular

Lynne
Who gave you the medlar as an Easter present, I wonder. Just in the interests of spreading knowledge, it is called in Welsh afal tinagored, which is a translation of the old English name. I will not offend by telling you what that is, but here will tell you:

http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Grose-Vulga ... edlar.html

We have a medlar and it makes excellent jeli afalau tinagored, the name of which shocks our Welsh neighbours.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Had a truly wonderful day yesterday. Conrad's now of an age when it's a real pleasure to have his company while I'm gardening (as opposed to stressing about what he's going to tread on next!) and we were at home alone all day, so we got lots done. Here's a pic of my favourite boy helping water the autumn raspberries before they got their mulch:

(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
lynne
KG Regular

As you've probably guessed the medlar was my splendid Alex's Easter present to me!
I gave him a black visor for his new Arai.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Jenny, Conrad looks a cheeky little chap, just like my youngest. :)

Dear Lynne, i was trying to work out what bikes you might have, i was thinking along the lines of B.M.W'S, but i don't think you would need leathers with sliders on. :)
Knowing you're into good styling, i was wondering about a pair of Ducati's, but i'm going for Honda's of some sort.
I'm not up to date on any of the new models now though.
Please do let us know what bikes you have got.
Lynne in a full set of bike leathers, now theres a thought for all of you gentlemen. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
lynne
KG Regular

We have several (ahem) bikes OH!
I ride a Honda CB600FSII (Hornet), Alex rides a Honda VTR1000 (Firestorm). In the garage we have a Honda XBR500, a Moto Guzzi V50, a Ural something or other, and an Armstrong MT500 which is still on the bench being rebuilt. It's not far off being roadworthy, and is a beautiful thing!
Jenny Green
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Jenny, Conrad looks a cheeky little chap, just like my youngest. :)

D

He's a cuddlebunny and a gigglepot, though I'm sure he won't appreciate me saying that when he's 17! :D
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Jenny,
Super photo. How old is Conrad now?
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Jenny, i'm quite sure when Conrad is 17, that will be the last thing you will want to be calling him, enjoy it while you can. :D

Dear Lynne, glad they were Hondas, just had a feeling they would be. :)
I never grew out of british bikes. 8)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Jenny,
Super photo. How old is Conrad now?
JB.

He's 3 1/2 and off to school in September! :cry:

Herby, when he's 17 he'll want me to call him a Greb or a Goth or something similar I'm sure!
Malk
KG Regular

Managed to get a bit done though I think Nugget has started teething, so he's been a handful on and off. The weather also got a bit chilly today.

Pruned the buddleia at the house which also got me in and pruning the dogwood and some other monster shrub that I hack back every year.

Planted 12 potatoes in barrels. Have another 33 to do, but can do those while Nugget is there because I just dig deep holes with a trowel rather than drills. The ones in the barrels I needed to haul in some new topsoil.

I planted out about half of my tomatoes and sweet peppers. Yes, my greenhouse is getting full. Planted my beans, basil and some more flowers.

today between spring cleaning the house I put grass seed down on the patches of lawn that were all mossy. Spent the past three weeks raking up the moss in 10 minutes sessions when Nugget was willing to sit outside. he likes being out at the plot but not in the back garden in the buggy. I also planted a new climbing rose (Blue Moon) and some flower bulbs (forgotten the name).

I also stared at my one asparagus stalk. It's only their second year, so I don't think I'll get to eat many, but I love watching them come up. Little purple noses pushing through the soil. There's a poem in there somewhere.

Nugget's thinking about waking up. Can't wait until he can help out.
Welcome to Finland!!
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I make a point of staying put at times like Easter weekend, Summer Bank Holiday etc. So here's what I did:
Put in the last of my Pink Fir Apple spuds.
Framed another raised bed using bits of wood discarded by my next-door neighbour.
Dug a small strip at the back of the allotment where horseradish and comfrey grow, which was overgrown with grass. After extracting loads of bindweed roots, I cut up some old compost bags and used them to mulch the strip.
Sowed winter tares where the overwintering brassicas will go. [I've already sown phacelia where I mean to plant tomatoes and Hungarian grazing rye where the beans will eventually go].
Back home I emptied a large tub in which marguerites had grown for several years with ever decreasing abundance. Emptied out the soil and filled the tub half way up with home-made compost. Put 5 spuds on top of that and filled with the old soil. Sowed carrots on top.
Started clearing our postage-stamp-sized back yard.
Collapsed.
Watched awful TV.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
alan refail
KG Regular

Just to prove it was a Bank Holiday, it rained, which put a stop to my Easter work.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic