Girl Power!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

Take a look at the centre pages of the Daily Telegrah today (Friday 27 January 2006). There's a great big article on the number of women taking on the male dominated world of allotments. Hasn't happened round my way it has to be said, we're very much in the minority but have been made nothing but welcome by the men.

Chantal :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Malk
KG Regular

We're definitely the majority at my plot. 80% female. There's still the older guys there, but they are super helpful and friendly, giving advice, a hand when needed and sharing fruits of our labours. There are a few who are a bit gossipy - ie a woman goes into your shed or you help a woman out you're more than just friends, but they're old fishwives. Overall the atmosphere is great.
Welcome to Finland!!
lizzie
KG Regular

Our plot is gradually getting better. There was a time when there was nothing but trouble and aggrivation from the men, moaning about kids, women and the fact that someone farts in the wrong key for their liking. Kids were blamed for flooding the toilet block when kids hadn't even been on the plots. This was adults, blaming babies for vandalism which they did themselves.

Things are changing for the better and that has been due, in lots of ways, to the Chair of our committee.

Some of the men are like old women and should were skirts, with their gossiping etc. The unpleasentness was all due to a small number of people who tried to make it horrible for the decent ones.

Before anyone says i'm being horrible, this is nothing that hasn't been said to the peoples faces. There are now more women and kids on the plots than there has ever been and that is fab. We are becoming more of a community and the ones who don't like it don't have to join in. They can be left behind while our plots go from strength to strength.
Lots of love

Lizzie
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Lizzie,

on our site quite a few of the plots are now tended by the "extra rib brigade" and excellent it is too. In fact about 70% of new pots let are to ladies.

I think that the old boys love the fact that they are seen as very knowledgable and are asked for help by the less experienced be they male or female.

We have a good mix on our site and I personallly like to see the mix of folk and indeed the children helping out.

Piglet
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chantal
KG Regular

The Telegraph article said that us women are into "prettying" the plots up with cute sheds, ponds and lots of flowers etc. Can't say I'm into that much, although I do grow flowers for cutting which also attract insects. As for chintz curtains on sheds, I don't even HAVE a shed! What about the rest of you ladies :?:

Chantal
Chantal

pigletwillie
KG Regular

Mrs Piglet keeps the nice shed on one plot as our main tea and snorker cobs "clean" area, fitted out with the back seat from some 1940`s car, a couple of chairs. table and cooker but no cutains. Yet. The Soweto shed (cos it looks like it was moved from the Soweto shanty town)has all the tools in it along with canes and netting etc. No curtains it that either so Far. You are more than welcome to sit in our shed Chantal if you feel that you are missing the experience. Tea and snorkers all round :D
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chez
KG Regular

Well our shed is an old dog kennel. But I admit I have been pondering planting tulip bulbs around the perimeter base and a rambling rose to climb over the sides and top too. Yes, I am into prettying up and 'softening edges'!
LakeView
KG Regular

My shed is from a neighbor who was discarding two sheds in his garden. I asked the neighboring plotholder to help me and my other half to assemble it and we all now share it. I did paint the outside red three years back, but for curtains I intentionally avoided chintz and put up hessian! Looks just right. It's the maximum size permitted (only 4'x6') so it stores two fold-up lawn chairs that we use outside on the 'deck' - the floor of the second discarded shed from the neighbor. Not posh, honest, but we do get teased a bit for enjoying tea on our deck!

It was so windy a couple years back that the shed blew off its simple breeze block foundation!

We also took the sides of the second shed and have been using them for edges of cospost bins, re-using wood slats for very temporary pathways etc. Waste-not want-not. Remind you of Sue the Recycler?
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks for the offer of a sit in your shed Piglet, I may take you up on that one day.

I've always been told that sheds are not allowed on our site but discovered yesterday that this was rule apparently made up by someone some time back and there's no reason we can't have sheds. The question now is do I want one as our site is not secure and I don't want to encourage thieves, vandals or arsonists. What I really need is a small shed which can house a Moule Earth Closet (you may recall this thread from the old forum) as I'm sick of having to chase off home to use the loo. :oops: I thought maybe if I have a sign saying Toilet on the door it would put people off and if they did break in all they'd find was a bucket of s**t. They'd certainly not bother with me again :?
Chantal

lizzie
KG Regular

I never bother to lock my shed as it has been broken into so many times the locks knackered and I can't be bothered buying another one.

I found that a bit of pelleted chicken manure in a small dish of water makes enough of a stink to put anyone off.

Besides, no-one can get into my shed, not even me cos of the amount of rubbish in there. Elvis and Lord Lucan have been spotted leading Shergar.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Chantal
KG Regular

You don't have chintz curtains then? I'm sure I can put something in there that stinks (several people I know spring straight to mind or can you supply me with sprout wine?). I like the way you're thinking, thanks.

Chantal :D
Chantal

Jude
KG Regular

I've got a really good shed. It's about 6x6 and I can sit on it and I use it to ripen off onions etc. I can lie down on it when I'm tired and even sunbathe on it. One day I hope my darling husband will help me actually erect the bloody thing!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Malk
KG Regular

I have a shed and greenhouse, kindly built for me by the 'boys' on the plot. They wouldn't let me help. Probably a good thing as I tend to snip of my thumb with secateurs. No curtains, just a desk and chair for writing (I'm a writer me) and all my tools. And a fire made from an old gas canister. Best thing in the world for nippy winter days. I sit and write and plan my plot for summer.

Yes I do grow flowers in one small bed that isn't practical for veg. But there is a bath in the middle for carrot fly free carrots and lots of strawberries in the midst of the flowers, which attract insects. so I think it's a reasonable compromise. Though a lot of the 'boys' grow flowers as well.
Welcome to Finland!!
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

oh god am i the only girly grock?yes i DO have a shed ,lime green and daffodil yellow.the out side is painted dark green,but only because plot rules say so.i have an axminster lid seat,that me tools go under,a little cooker,a paraffin light,the best photo of me and my alan,(titchmarsh)not the ubby.and now i'm really gonna spoil me image......i have yellow and green gingham curtains :shock: cant belive im telling you all this :oops: outside i have a slate sign that says LINSDOONVARNA liz knows what it means.i was also considering leaving a pair of long granny knickers on a spade outside,but i dont think the commite will allow it :cry:
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
lizzie
KG Regular

My shed too is dark green but I can't get in it cos of the stuff in there.

I use Grocks shed, much more comfy. Hers is the one with the kettle in!!!!! :lol:
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic