snow

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

submariner
KG Regular

Just heard on the wireless. There is a likelyhood of SNOW next week. I think the old wives tale might be right. Don't cast a clout till May is out!
Love veg!
Gilly C
KG Regular

do remember the May in question is May Blossom or Hawthorn not the month !
Jea
KG Regular

The Blackthorn (Sloe) usually starts to flower about 21 March and we usually get a cold spell when it comes into flower.....
Gilly C
KG Regular

Sloe (Blackthorn) has been in blossom here in Cumbria for 2-3 weeks now !
Jea
KG Regular

Hi Gilly
I wonder if you are confusing the blackthorn with the 'cherry plum' which flowers from late February? The flowers do look very similar. The cherry plum has been out in this area for a couple of weeks or so but the true blackthorn doesn't come out until later - about 21 March in this area. The leaves on the cherry plum start to come out whilst it is still in flower but the blackthorn leaves don't start to appear until the flowers are over - usually quite late in April.
Gilly C
KG Regular

no way these bushes are the ones that produce the sloes for my Gin :wink: just outside my garden gate, but we live overlooking Morecambe Bay the climate is very mild and in nearby Grange over Sands they grow Palm Trees. by the way I have Fig trees and Olives growing outdoors all year around ! also a passion flower and my buddleas have been in full leaf all winter
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Looks like all my Welsh freinds need to put their thermals on tonight, it's going to be a hard frost for them. :twisted: :) :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

I'll wear my horseradish thong :twisted:

Who says it's going to be cold OH?

I'll let you know in the morning.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Alan, it was that rather attractive weather lady on channel 5. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Don't be a killjoy submariner! I've just been out and sowed some Mouli and Kohl Rabi today . Damn ! Another lot of wasted seed. Why can't I exercise some self restraint and wait until April? The minute I feel some warm sunshine on my back I suffer a compulsion to get sowing.
Gilly C
KG Regular

Lots in my garden is earlier than normal my Rosa rubosa hedge is in leaf, the Daffs have nearly finished as has the Jasmine and Forsythia The Hydrangas are in leaf , the Clematis is just about in flower and the grass needs cutting, but then I am only 100yds from High water line and it is always mild here but still it is only the middle of March !!!!!!!!!
Tigger
KG Regular

According to our weather folk, we'll satr a second winter this weekend and then progress to a snowy time the week after next.
alan refail
KG Regular

Greetings from Wales

Only joking; this is what our last snow was like just over three years ago. Hope the forecast snow next week will be less :!:

This morning we have a white frost, as OH and his nice friend from Channel 5 predicted. But the blackbirds are singing and the cocks are crowing and it looks like a nice day ahead.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
madasafish
KG Regular

Hard frost this am.. BBC Gardening weather forecast very useful.
No outdoor sowing before April here.. and yes we have had snow in early may before..
Tigger
KG Regular

Frost here too, but the sun's shining now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic