Anyone got asparagus yet?!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

June
KG Regular

I had to post this after a really disheartening week when all my cauli seedlings have died, some leeks have dampened off and to top it all my mini greenhouse broke free of its moorings scattering my broad beans, peas and chard everywhere when I've just spotted two asparagus spears about one inch high!!
Every cloud has a silver lining!!
tea-shot
KG Regular

Love your attitude June :D I think that there's always a silver lining - it's just that sometimes you have to look really hard to find it :wink:
Angi
KG Regular

I have one little spear peeking through, but then I'm a lot further south. This will be my first year harvesting it and I'm already really excited!
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I haven't noticed but I'll go out tomorrow and have a look now I've read they're coming out as far north as Lancashire. :shock:
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
madasafish
KG Regular

Hmm my asparagus is still resting.. No action for at least a month.. frost last night... and lots of rain in the past 2 months... 150metres above sealevel and Staffordshire Moorlands = no action.

But grass still needs to be cut!:-((((
Tigger
KG Regular

There's no spears yet, but definite signs of disturbance and ground breaking up. Those little gems aren't far away!
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Yes, Madasafish, grass and weeds growing strongly down here too. :x
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
darrenc
KG Regular

Mine is still in bed up here in s yorks. Cannot wait though this year is its first year of full cropping having planted it 3 years ago. If i remember rightly i planted the mid season variety Gjinlim?
June
KG Regular

I was really surprised to have spears so early being so far north. I don't know whether it's helped but for the past couple of years we have mulched the bed with the contents of the tomato tubs in Autumn and fed them in Spring with seaweed feed. The mulch seems really thick at first but eventually beds down.
Anji, I bet you can't wait to try your first crop. I can still remember how much better the first crop we had tasted compared to anything you can buy. Trouble is, once you've tasted it you never want to go back to shop bought!! :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic