Am I in trouble here?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chantal
KG Regular

I've just very stupidly trodden on a piece of wood with a rusty nail in which has gone straight through my trainer and into my foot. It didn't hurt much when I did it but is a bit sore now. I am up to date with my tetanus jabs and am sitting with my foot in a strong solution of TCP in hot water. Is this enough? :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal, you should be fine, just keep an eye on your foot for any infection, they always seem to get more painful a short time afterwards.

I take it you still haven't got the bit of wood attached to your foot. :shock: :D :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

Not now... thanks, thats very reassuring.
Chantal

Compo
KG Regular

Owch, you have done the right thing, keeping it clean and being up to date with Tetanus, you probably need some chocolate / alcohol too!!

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Alison
KG Regular

If you are worried, I have actually found NHS Direct very helpful. I hope it gets better soon.
Alison.
Mole
KG Regular

Chantal

Hope it is feeling ok. I am accident prone (careless?!) I usually find, that if it isn't really throbbing by next morning, then it's not infected.

BTW I have only ever used neat lavender oil on open wounds for over ten years now, and find it works very well as an antisceptic.

Last year I somehow managed to push a 6"long 1/8inch thick wire staple straight through my hand whilst pinning landscape fabric (and my hand this time!) to a bed. (It was at the end of aparticularly tiring day). My quick thinking colleague noticed my predicament, and before we thought too much about it, stood on my hand and quickly withdrew the staple - neatly cleaning any soil off the staple(into the wound) in the process! Cue quick wash, open up the entry and exit a bit, flush with lavender, and cover with dressing - it was fine.

Mole
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Oooh dear, this is all making me wince! That sounds painful Chantal. Just wanted to say honey is a good antiseptic too.
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
Tigger
KG Regular

Don't worry Chantal - nurse will be round in the morning! :twisted:
peter
KG Regular

Last time I queried my GP about tetanus jabs, I was told that they no longer give boosters for it and you immunity is assumed to be at max after a couple of jabs.

Check with your GP to see if you need a jab as a direct result of the nail.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks guys. I think I'm in the clear as there's been no development overnight other than I am vaguely aware that my foot feels bruised. I can't even see where the nail went in now (good) but every time I try to have a good look I fall over (bad) so I'll get Nurse Tigger to check when she arrives.

In the meantime, I'm not going anywhere near a doctor as I just know, that despite having an up to date tetanus jab, I'll get enother one and I HATE needles!

I can still recall my first tetanus jab when I cried my eyes out with fright beforehand; got to read a poster on asthma to take my mind off it; was given a toy cat to cuddle; got a sugar lump and a badge saying "I've been brave at the doctor's today". I was 30. :oops: Move over on the needle wimp stakes Peter. :lol: :lol:
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal, so glad your foot seems fine.
Is there any reason why you keep falling over, to much alcohol maybe. :D
I don't know which would be the worse, a tetanus jab or Tigger operating. :shock: :D :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Hope you'll be OK Chantal. I had my last tetanus jabs over 12 years ago and last autumn when I went into the surgery for a flu jab I asked if I needed to have a tetanus booster. The nurse told me they didn't do them any more as if you'd had the full series that was considered sufficient to maintain your immunity. Cynical me wondered whether this was just an excuse to try and keep the NHS budget within limits !
Malk
KG Regular

Chantal, I love your story of your first jab, brilliant. :lol:

Brave woman to admit to being a wuss. Hope you feel better soon.
Welcome to Finland!!
madasafish
KG Regular

Chantal
Do not be ashamed of being afraid of needles. I am a 100% true blue coward and shut my eyes when one is shown on TV.. and cannot watch injections.. mine or anyone else's.
So compared to me you are very brave..

Hope you suffer no ill effects.

I find gin has medicinal properties when taken internally:-)
Weed
KG Regular

Thank heaven....more folk afaid of needles.. I thought I was alone

I gave blood for many a year but still feel queezy when I see a needle...Ugh :roll:
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic