student in need please help

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

stdent 11

:!: Please, please, please help me. I’ve only got a few days until the hand in for my Final Major research project and I really need to get at least 100 answers for this questionnaire!

[I HAVE REMOVED THIS LINK - ADMIN]

Thank you so much!
secret guest

if you are a student, why aren't you using an email with an ac.uk address?
Chantal
KG Regular

We've already been through this a few weeks ago (13 January). There was a right furore over just about every aspect of being a student. What's more, this is exactly the same message and survey from the same student. (See Cooking Tips). I answered the survey first time around but I suspect the project must be more than a little late by now! :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
secret guest

Ah, sorry, I have only just come back to this BB after a long absence, so long in fact, I didn't recognize the format.
It's just that this sort of thing makes it so much harder for our students to get worthwhile responses, when they really are doing projects of this nature, and it upsets me.
alan refail
KG Regular

"marketresearch" in the e-mail address rather gives the game away, doesn't it? Student?
Mr Potato Head

Well, I'll admit to being suckered by this one. I checked the links, and Murdens is a Soft Drinks manafacturer in Hull. I'm guessing it's not a student then!

For the record, I don't mind helping students, and I don't mind helping out with some market research... but to disguise one as the other is underhand and not necessary.

Needless to say, Murdens will be getting a stiff email from me, about their market research practices. :x
Mr Potato Head

Well,

Stiff email was sent off, and Jennifer Murden has replied to me as follows.

I apologise for any concern my post caused you but must insist that you are mistaken.

It is true that my father runs a soft drinks company in Hull, and kindly gave me some web space and an e-mail address of my own to use for the project.

I am genuinely a student at the University of Huddersfield and should you wish for proof of this I would be happy for my tutors to write to you or even speak to you.

The project has now come to an end and I am not processing any more replies.

I'm prepared to believe her on this one, but it does raise the question about how we trust people's requests for information... I'll give this some thought, but in the meantime will stay ever vigilant...
8)
secret guest

Now that there is an adult moderator on board, it might be kinder to remove both these 'student' threads from the BB. In the light of the apparent truth, the views expressed by some people could be unnecessarily embarrassing

It's best for genuine students who wish for a considered response to requests for information, to reveal their identity and give a valid Uni/College email address, which in the U.K. will end in ac.uk

I am surprised that her tutor didn't suggest this to her
Mr Potato Head

When I was a student, the .ac.uk mail was reserved for academic staff and PHd students. So this may not necessarily be practicable for everyone. However, if students do have one, they should definitely use it! :)
Chez
KG Regular

I did wonder if it made a difference whether students live on campus or not, so did some checking. My step-daughter is in her third year at University, has an 'ac' (stands for academic, I think) email address, despite the fact she rents a house with others, from a private landlord. Hmmm...not sure if that clarifies or confuses...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic