getting manure!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

mazmezroz
KG Regular

Sorry if this is a really thick question, but for the last few years, I have had an allotment and they have someone who's organised the muck. All we had to do was hand over the dosh and it was dumped at the bottom of your plot.

Well, we are hoping (everything crossed to the point of no circulation) to move in the next couple of months to a place that has a garden big enough to grow me veggies in - hoorah! But then, it crossed my mind, how do I get my muck, and where could they dump it? Don't fancy a huge pile of poo in the middle of my lovely gravel drive. And how do I source it?

What do all you lot do, who garden from home? Contact local farmers - put down tons of plastic, barrow it through? Have I answered my own question?

Told you it was a dense question ...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Mazmezroz, i don't think it's a dense question at all, more of a good question, good answer. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Thick blue builders plastic sheet for a tipped delivery.
Dog food sacks for self collection.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Wellie
KG Regular

mazmez, I'm in exactly the same predicament at the minute! I'm going to be reading your thread here...
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Compo
KG Regular

Our local young farmers are delivering trailer loads next weekend (I hope) weather permitting, they deliver it for a donation to their chosen charity. I got hold of them by doing an internet search, you might get lucky and find a similar scheme

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
jopsy
KG Regular

dh fixes pcs so we get local farmers whos pcs hes fixed to give us free manure!
mind you last time they dumped it on the path, we barrowed it where we wanted it to go
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
John
KG Regular

Hello Mazmezroz
Some horse owners round here very kindly leave fertilizer/feed bags full of free manure at their field gates for collection by any passing gardeners. You are expected to leave an empty bag for every bag you collect. System seems to work very well.
The best load of manure that I've ever had came through the field at the bottom of my garden. The farmer drove up in one of those machines with a large bucket on extending hydraulic arms and tipped it neatly over the fence right onto the veg patch!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I have to go to the local stables and fill my bags (empty compost sacks) myself. Hubby will then wheel it to the back of the house for me.
I envy those who can get it dropped off! Need to live somewhere a bit more rural I think.
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
Tigger
KG Regular

My neighbouring farmer kindly deposits it by the digger full somewhere highly inconvenient in the knowledge that I'll move it ASAP.

Bless him.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic