Gooseberry Hinnomaki Red, Yellow.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,

The 2 Hinnomaki Gooseberries seem to be a recent addition...I'm not sure if new this season or have they been available previously..??

If they have appeared previously has anyone any experience of growing them...before I place an order.

I currently only grow Invicta due to its brilliant mildew resistance...but with a new area, dug from a lawn, I fancied a couple more types/varieties.
The red seems to be listed dessert/cooking and the yellow dessert.??

I was at a local garden centre yesterday who stocked both the red and yellow...the red variety looked stocky little upright jobs on a good leg whilst the yellow had a more arching weeping habit.

I didn't make a purchase as the reds had sadly suffered, some local damage, and lost their buds and the weeping habit of the yellow put me off a little. :?
I did though sample some Gooseberry Crumble in their cafe :wink:

Thus, on return home I was looking online and found www.blackmoor.co.uk Blackmoor Nurseries. I would be interested to know if any posters have ordered from their website.(I couldn't see a postage rate)...or any other thoughts of an online source.

Thank you,
Clive.

"Edit".... since posting I have been mailed to say that Blackmoors postage/packing would be £4 or £14 depending on consignment weight.. in the instance of 2 Gooseberry bushes it would be £4 P+P.. Also learnt that their Gooseberries are grown on a good leg...which has to be good :wink:
Last edited by Clive. on Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
KG Regular

We grow an old red variety Whinhams Industry. Make an amazing colour of jam and if you leave them on they are a treat straight from the bush.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

And if you leave them too long the birds get them - as I found out last year! :(
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
To update this thread...

I decided to go for 5 of the Hinomaki Red plus one more Invicta to make up our other row.. but did not go for the Hinomaki Yellow having seen the ones at the garden centre having arching/weeping type of growth...and a ref' elsewhere to them perhaps needing some support. Shame really as I did want to try them out...a place for a couple may yet appear. :wink:

I ordered from www.blackmoor.co.uk on Monday evening from home here...order progress and carrier e-mail info' have listed the bushes every move since..!!

They were delivered to my work address by TNT Overnight arriving this morning.

They were packed ok and are excellent 2year old bushes on a good straight leg.

Currently heeled in awaiting a move to their dedicated location in our newly dug square..

So full marks to Blackmoor Nurseries.

All the best,
Clive. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic