Grow Your Own Veg

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I was looking forward the programme but found it rather disappointing. Ten out of ten for enthusiasm, but the scenery switched rapidly from one thing to another and didn't seem to bear in mind the needs of the absolute beginner who would have probably found it all rather mind boggling as the scenes whizzed from one scenario to another. I think it would have been better to concentrate more on some of the basics and allocate them more time, rather than starting with growing Jerusalem artichokes, which, let's face it, are not the type of veg the total novice will want to start with. Many of the viewers would probably have little concept of growing even basic food items like salads and will probably have been put off by the confusion. If you're aiming a programme at real amateurs, stick to salads, tomatoes, runner beans etc, and spend a lot of time giving the new recruit the confidence to feel they could try it for themselves and succeed. I felt there was far too much extraneaous filming of irrelevant material, (although I did enjoy the shot of the robin being hand fed.) and the programme switched from various time zones (spring to June to September) which I felt added confusion so that the novice couldn't really focus on how to get started with several different small crops in early Spring. However, I'm sure I won't be able to resist watching next week in the hope of something more encouraging.
Zena
KG Regular

Emm - I enjoyed it but, on reflection, not sure that I learnt a lot, even as a real beginner. (except, we did learn where we went wrong with the Jersulam Artichcokes!) I was a bit confused by the runner beans - we didn't did as big a trench, or line it with anything, and they did fine. Maybe it was beginner's luck! I did think it was quite "inspirational" though. I can't wait for the garden to drain off enough for me to get back out there, and have got a pile of seed catalogues out to wade through. If all it does is encourage others to have a go, then I think it's served it's purpose and more detailed information is available elsewhere. Maybe future episodes will go into more detail?
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Thanks Clive for the link, those older programmes gave the facts without the drama.

Barney
mazmezroz
KG Regular

Absolutely agree with primrose. Was v. disappointed, but enjoyed it nontheless - any prog about veg gardening is better than none. But didn't do anything to inspire or inform. No instructional info to speak of, and J artichokes???? Why???????

Will continue to watch, and hope it becomes more informative.
Chris
KG Regular

Clive

Thanks for the old clips. Those programmes certainly helped me in my earlier years of gardening. They were also entertaining but mainly because they had a purpose beyond the imediate reaction on friday night. The problem with the current programe is that it seems disconected from the actual process of growing stuff out there, right now even if it is cold.

I don't think that the old programmes would work today - but the new ones should still conect with the activity of growing and not just the nice fantasy.

Good to see Arthur again - my Dad's favourite.

Chris
Chris
Tigger
KG Regular

I've just watched my tape as I was out at Bridge last night and I thought it was a great programme. If I wasn't a gardener, I would definitely be inspired!

I like Carol's approach. Pity Chantal and her potatoes didn't feature?!
Johnboy
KG Regular

I think the programme was abysmal. I have the greatest respect for Carol Klein and realise that she is only doing what some total jerk from the BBC commands. I'm afraid had that been me, instead of squeals of joy, there would have been groans of dismay if I had dug my Potatoes and got such a pathetic crop.
I have not got the foggiest idea why they were planted at 6 inch centres and feel that they were not planted deep enough and certainly not earthed up sufficiently.
I think this is all part of the general malaise spread by the BBC about vegetable growing as though they really do not want to get their hands dirty. I notice that the dirt on Carols hands was real and not supplied by BBC make-up dept as the jerk on Gardeners World. With vegetable growing the BBC continually take the *****!
I shall watch the programme next week but it has got to improve considerably before I would give it a third week.
JB.
Iain
KG Regular

I think things like this encourage superficiality at the expense of passion and a respect for hard-earned knowledge. There's no modesty in it, no regard for the wonder inherent in the subject. That's what gets me. Maybe if we watch the whole series we'll find ourselves qualified for a degree in Vegging or something.
Allan
KG Regular

I could say a lot about the usual over-presented, minimum hard information approach that we have come to expect from the BBC, but perhaps there is no option if you are after the peak viewing time to entertain the couch-potato brigade. I will confine my remarks to one subject, the Jerusalem Artichoke.
Carol is right inasmuch as it is a member of the sunflower family, hence what I understand as gyro-solem, or roughly going round with the sun was corrupted to Jerusalem
I was horrified at the idea of peeling them to make chips, it would take a long time and waste half the material with the usual knobbly UK variety. In USA, the home of the JAs they grow wild in places and among the cultivars is one Smooth Garnet which is far less wasteful and the skin is a lovely garnet red so easy to clean,best cooked whole and one has the option of eating all or easily removing the skin after cooking.
I am fortunate in having a stock of these having raised them in large containers and hope to grow far more if I can overcome the problem of them being eaten by mice,voles or whatever.
Lastly I agree with the alternative view expressed in the programme that any gardener with limited resources is wise not to grow potatoes but concentrate on a continuity of fresh salad and similar crops of much higher value.
Allan
alan refail
KG Regular

Well, we Welsh were finally allowed to watch the programme last night. After the previous comments I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. There was less of the tricksy filming techniques I had been expecting.
Sure, the programme might have had its faults, but not many as far as I could see. For a half hour introduction it was very good and must have a good chance of inspiring new home gardeners (though Carol's garden was BIG :!: )
I can only think it inspired more potential growers than Messrs Billett and Thrower ever could have done. I remember them - they had one big fault - they were DULL.
I am looking forward to the next episode on Friday (you guessed it, no rugby.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Alan

I am not so sure that Messrs Billit and Thrower did attract fewer people to gardening. I can remember when they were on Gardeners World, country and town allotments were more than twice the size that they are today. Also many more people grew vegetables in their gardens then than today. I am also not so sure that they were dull; they presented facts based on sound principles and knowledge gained by experience. Naturally we all have our own opinions but I for one would vote for the facts rather than the froth every time.

Barney
Allan
KG Regular

I have a soft spot for Arthur Billit. I always preferred his presentation to that of Percy Thrower who knew his basics but over-simplified the presentation. I took the trouble to go to Clack's Farm at Ombersley on an open day and stood by the great man himself explaining his sensible approach to chemicals,Big O had not then got the grip that it has today. A never to be forgotten experience.
Allan
retropants
KG Regular

Thanks Clive, for the links! I just watched the Geoff Hamilton one, and remember watching it first time around on the telly many years ago, I used to watch GW avidly evey week when he was presenting!
Ahhh, memories! :D
I missed the veg programme last Friday, but will try and catch it tonight......
Allan
KG Regular

Re Clive's link to the clips, do a right click on the picture and go to Real Player Theatre Mode for a real nostalgic effect. I wounder if these clips could be put on a CD or DVD then I can really indulge in nostalgia at any time.
retropants
KG Regular

ooh, thanks for the info Allan, will give it a go over the weekend!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic