planting by the moon

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

June

I regularly plant using the lunar cycle and find it works extremely well. It's especially useful for expensive types of seeds that are only sown and required in small quantities as the germination rate is very high, quite often 100%.
The basic theory of it is that each month the moon follows the same zodiacal cycle as that of the sun each year (from Aries through to Pisces for those who are familar with the signs). For half the month the moon is waxing (increasing in size, from new to full) and the other half it is waning (reversal of above). The most basic principle of lunar planting is to plant crops/seeds that are harvested above the ground as the moon is waxing and ones that crop below the ground when the moon is waning.
In addition to this, the moon moves through each zodiacal sign every two and a half days. The twelve signs are split into four elements, fire, earth, air and water. The earth and water signs generally are the ones to sow and plant in, water for leafy crops and earth for roots. Air and fire signs are better for cultivating the ground, destroying pests, etc. To complicate things a little further, certain zodiacal signs are especially good for specific types of crops, and not all earth signs are good to sow in. You need a special lunar calendar to know the actual days each year. I could go on at much more length and detail if anyone is interested (anyone still awake?!) and as I have studied astrology for twenty years now I promise none of your comments will offend me as I must have heard them all by now!!
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Hi folks
I've never tried it but I was married to a fisherman (out at sea on a big boat kind not the angling by the river kind) and its not a saying but a fact that the currents are stronger during the full moon - its all to do with the gravitational pull of the moon on the sea...however
richard p wrote:some will call me a cynic, but you wont see any scientific trials of planting by the moon, who is going to fund the trials to prove it works if they cant sell moonlight??

It seems someone did fund a trial years ago in 1952. Maria Thun was responsible for formal experimentation in this area, her research on her farm in Darmstadt, Germany, has been financially supported by a group of biodynamic farmers.
There is alot of info about it if you follow this link. http://kaykeys.net/spirit/earthspiritua ... nseed.html I cant say I'm convinced but dont knock what you havent tried they say :)
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

I'm open minded and will try anything. Perhaps June knows of a book that will explain more or a website that is good. I've done a google but a lot of the stuff wasn't too good. A lot of words but no info.

As Sue the Recycler said, don't knock it till you've tried it. I say if you've enjoyed it, tell your friends.
Lots of love

Lizzie
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

i know,isn't that why you get more customers when its pensioners rates.ooh buy the way, the gas is back on for the sauna,and old Les is booked in first :twisted:
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Allan
KG Regular

Acapuncture, maybe, homeopathy, maybe, water divining, I had success with that one,organic gardening, follow the book if you don't want to think it out for yourself, but to say that plant life can be influenced by the signs of the zodiac which is a human interpretation of the shapes made in the sky by stars millions of miles apart that's too much to swallow. It's impossible to disprove but has to be an act of faith by the participants.
Allan
Chantal
KG Regular

I thought it was planting by the moon not the zodiac. :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Allan
KG Regular

Chantal
Have another look at June's message re. the zodiac signs for timing.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hmmm. I can see what you mean but if the zodiac signs follow the moon, you'd still be planting by the moon. I admit that the plant only during certain signs is difficult to swallow but hey, I have every intention of giving it a go because I can't mock what I've never tried. I admit I'm sceptical but then I am about a lot of things. This time next year I may be better informed from experience.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

well thanks everyone for ye replies.its a full moon soon so im givin it a go :)
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic