planting by the moon

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

pigletwillie
KG Regular

Quite right Grock,

I dont want to read about two people squabbling, I want to hear about this here witchcraft! :shock: :shock:
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

whos been blabing about my extra activities?was it the old tart liz?will have to turn her into a frog,mind you she's kissed plenty of old toads.seriously whos been talking.? :shock: :shock:
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
lizzie
KG Regular

That's the last time I take you shopping you old crone.

And stop calling the Old Man a frog, he was only an amoeba when I met him and now he's developed gills. He's evolving as we speak. Not sure what into but I'm sure I'll find out.

I don't know if there's anything in planting by the moon but if it blows your cape and broom up then go for it. There is plenty of evidence in Psalters and other historical documentation that this was done as a matter of course, especially when dealing with medicinal herbs.
Lots of love

Lizzie

I firmly believe that the moon affects people's mood (by exerting some kind of pull on the water in their brains?) - wasn't it a full moon during the recent cantankerosity debacle on this site, by the way? - and it's more or less accepted that the moon's phases affect the tides. So maybe, if it influences the behaviour of water, it isn't too outlandish to think that it could affect seeds, since they require water in order to germinate. I tried an experiment a few years ago, sowing half my seeds according to Gwydion's Moon Planting Guide, the other half at completely the opposite time. Germination was better for the "moon-sown" seeds but some crops failed to mature well and others did quite well (I would expect this to happen every season anyway). So maybe the moon affects germination but not the quality of mature plants? I wouldn't think just sowing by moonlight would make any difference - you'd have to make sure the moon was in the appropriate phase.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

i do believe you are right .and it was deffo a full moon when the kick off started,goes to show the moon does have an effect on peoples moods,most crimes are commited on a full moon (murders especially)..........and as for you liz watch out on the next one,you might just find me flying over your house sprinkling deadly nightshade over you.and buy the way, what have you been telling the pork sausage ,sorry, pigletwille about me?
richard p
KG Regular

some will call me a cynic, but you wont see any scientific trials of planting by the moon, who is going to fund the trials to prove it works if they cant sell moonlight??

If any of the big seed companies could prove it works, then charge extra for seeds allegedly grown by moon-phase, they'd finance trials in the blink of an eye!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Dear Guest,
A rather chicken and egg situation. The seed company
would have to do the research before they could prove anything.
We have been here before on this forum in fact probably every year of it's existence and there are those who swear by it and those who think it a load of old cobblers. I regret that I belong to the latter.
JB.
earthstar
KG Regular

did someone mention witchcraft........???hehehe
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

no i was only asking about the moon planting,but i think pigletwillie knows a lot more about me than he is letting on and now he wont answer me question.WHOS BEEN BLABBING.by the way earthstar like the name, do you recon we have anything in common :?: :twisted:
earthstar
KG Regular

Sorry Grock

that was me :oops:
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

nice one, must chat some time :D
Deb P
KG Regular

My grandmother grew up on a commercial orchard and farm, and firmly believes that women are particularly affected by the moons' cycle (now popularly know as PMT!), and arranged tasks around this.

I now realise I have unconsciously used this for years, running out for a bout of vicious weeding when in full rage, nice patience requiring jobs like planting and potting on when calmer.....

Don't know how this affects blokes though, my husband would say he just suffers the effects all the time anyway!
richard p
KG Regular

been a lot of posts in this thread but not a lot on the topic...
just been filling in this years calender, see we have a new moon on the 29th, does this mean we should all be planting carrotts this weekend?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic