planting by the moon

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

im always up for trying new things (no smuttie comments liz)has anyone tried planting by the moon ? does it work?,and what results did you have?
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Allan
KG Regular

All I know is that Gardening Which gave it a try and couldn't get any evidence of its success. A truly scientific test would be extremely difficult to do. I've never heard of really convincing evidence. Perhaps it only works if you have faith in it.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Grock,

I have tried this but got scared of all the werewolves prowling around howling at the full moon.

David
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
earthstar
KG Regular

I was discussing this subject with someone recently. She's been growing veg for over 40 years and swears by it. I'm going to give it a go this year.
Angi
KG Regular

I tried it the year before last and found that, because of other commitments, I often didn't get things sown or planted at the correct time. I had given up by mid June as the guilt and panic set in :lol: !
Lyn
KG Regular

Hi -

I tried this as an experiment last year, and had significantly better germination of seed of salads, beetroot, leeks, parsnips, chard and spinach sown when the moon was "right", than with the same seed planted at other times in the same week. The plants themselves all ended up the same at maturity, but yields of the "moon-planted" crops were slightly higher because of the better initial germination. I am certainly going to try it again this year.
Cheers, Lyn.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

well this dosnt look too promising does it,but i think i might have a go anyway,earthstar if your friend swears buy it,its got to be good enough 4 me.and as 4 u pigletwille,im also frightend of big hairy, scary monsters :wink:
peter
KG Regular

Does using a torch to read the labels upset the effect?
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

Don't know why you said "no smutty comments Liz" Grock It takes one to know one you old tart!!!!

Anyway, I read somewhere that the different phases of the moon effects the tides and water tables in the earth due to the magnetic forces created by the planet rotating in space. All sailors say that the currants are stronger at sea when the moon is full.

I don't know if planting by the moon works or not, i've never tried it. But, saying that, there might be something in it. There is historical documental evidence that this way of planting was done in Medieaval times and also that the Romans planted this way. The Egyptians also planted there crops this way. They also knew that the tides of the Nile were always higher during the full moon and took advantage of this for irrigation purposes.

Ok kiddies, history lesson is over. And for the last time of telling the pair of you, Grock and Pigletwillie DO stop doing that. It will all end in tears!!!!
Lots of love

Lizzie
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

it was a perfectly reasonable question to ask pigletwillie.NOW STOP SPOILLING MY FUN!!!!!!! :shock:
Geoff
KG Regular

Must admit I have never seen any scientific reason why the moon could have any effect whatsoever. Weather and soil are what matter most and I don't think the moon changes them.
But what's science got to do with anything these days with the organic movement, Charles as heir to the throne, Bush in the White House and Blair in Downing Street.

errrm, gravity not magnetism????

hard to imagine how it could affect plants, but always open to being convinced.

:P
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:Must admit I have never seen any scientific reason why the moon could have any effect whatsoever. Weather and soil are what matter most and I don't think the moon changes them.
But what's science got to do with anything these days with the organic movement, Charles as heir to the throne, Bush in the White House and Blair in Downing Street.

What's planting by the moon got to do with the organic movement? If you're going to be nasty, at least get your facts right.
Geoff
KG Regular

I didn't say moon planting was part of the organic movement simply it is another case of we know better than science.
The other week we had an organic gardener crediting plants with transmutation. Charles would have us back in the middle ages (I always like the quote that it is a bit rich a royal championing biodiversity). Bush and his creationist fundamentalists are destroying American education. Blair and his closet Catholicism is again pretty backward.
Science, invention and adaptation are the human spirit!
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

now,now children,stop this at once.can we get back to planting by the moon please :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic