OCTOBER 87 , what were you doing and where

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

Yup, that night I had a driving lesson, the instructor was running late so my lesson did not start until 10pm - I was offered the chance to cancel at no cost but learnt a fair deal about driving in "poor" conditions.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Carlseawolf,

Ross Revenge operated out of Grimsby...I believe it was the largest sidewinder trawler to operate from there and held various catch records.

It became a radioship in 1983 having a c.300ft aerial mast fitted immediately in front of the old trawl winch. This mast was lost in November 1987 and 2 temporary aerial masts added with the ones still on the ship fitted I seem to think in 1989?? as per the avatar photo that I curently use.

The vessel broke anchor in 1991 (by then, sadly, a silent radioship :cry:)and drifted onto the Goodwin Sands...it then became one of only 2 ? ships to come off the Goodwins and was towed into Dover..

If you visit this link there are a couple of photos that I captured whilst RR was in Dover. http://www.geocities.com/woodleyuk/xmas_caro.htm

Further info can be found here; http://www.rossrevenge.co.uk/

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/news.asp

http://www.horizonmagazine.co.uk/

Credit due to anyone who was out on any vessel.....trawler, radioship or ferry....

I add that I have only been on Ross Revenge whilst securely at rest in the R. Blackwater, again at Queenborough Isle of Sheppey and Tilbury waterside.!!

All the best,
Clive.
Tigger
KG Regular

No problems here in Shropshire but OH was in a ferry at the time stuck out of port off Dover. He was expected to land but couldn't. Eventually called me to say he couldn't get in.

Eventually landed a day later.

Got home and has been here ever since - thank God.
carlseawolf
KG Regular

thank's clive for the info , not many ships make it off the goodwin sands ( hence the nickname widowmaker )even today its still bad with gps as the sands change with each storm .
and tigger i dont know if you remember but another ferry had two lorries come lose in the hold crossing the channel a right mess totaled five cars as well as the lorry, we seen that ferry pass us at sea and the waves where breaking over the ferry.
A seed planted today will make a meal tomorrow
www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf
Primrose
KG Regular

Spent the night cowering alone in the bedroom as my husband was away at the time, watching the windows bending in their frames and fearing they would blow out at any moment. Heard all the front garden fence panels slowly being yanked out of their sockets one by one and whipped along the road outsideas they broke up like tinderwood. Then the top ridge tiles on the roof were ripped off and it felt like an explosion as they rolled down the roof, ripping off many other slates in their journey. And when I finally had the courage to come down stairs in daylight I found next door's beech tree totally felled, and my Hills Hoist leaning drunkenly at 45 degrees, smashed by a roof tile. Of my laundry, including several pairs of my knickers which I'd hung out the previous night,there was no trace and I certainly wasn't going knocking on all the neighbourhood doors to try and recover them !!
Compo
KG Regular

I was in Gosport, Hampshire, which got a real clobbering, at about 2pm I was trying to cycle home my usual six mile journey, but it took me an hour to push the bike home. When I got there the shed had moved across the garden about eight foot. The six foot garden wall was over, and the fences were well gone. I remember harvesting planks of wood from the married quarter fencing, and stashing it in the garage, as the MOD decided to use all new timber for the replacement bar fencing. I had a garage full and took it when I bought my own place, it made fences raised beds and a shed.

There were buildings down, boats smashed and roofs off, the south coast really got it.........cheers Michael Fish.

compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Chantal
KG Regular

Blimey Tigger, Lyndon was probably on a ferry with the Piglets and they had no idea! :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

It really is a small world!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic