Dhalias and peas? Advice please

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Jeanthebean
KG Regular

Hi all,

A neighbouring allotment holder (who I never see) grew fantastic Dahlias this year on the edge of her plot. They were so lovely I want to try some this year... Any advice on seed or tuber?

Also I read somewhere you can grow peas in hanging baskets (current issue of KG in chicken feature)Has anyone tried this as I fancy trying this in the garden this year if poss..

Thanks

Jean
Mothers of teenagers know why animals eat their young!
Tigger
KG Regular

I grow lots of dahlias from tubers, planting them in a little soil in shallow trays, then taking cuttings which I grow on. This makes many more plants from each tuber and gives them a head start. Do take a look at Sarah Ravens' advice.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Jeanthebean, if you grow them from seed, which is very easy, you will get a better selection of colours from one packet of seed, if you buy tubers and take cuttings you will end up with more of the same colour.
With the peas in hanging baskets i would have thought you would need to have a lot of them, or you won't get many peas ready at the same time for picking.
I must admit i have never tried this though.

Are you sure it's a lady who grows those wonderful dahlias, if you never see anyone on that allotment. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

I grow all my dahlias from seed each year and then leave them in over the winter. Some always come back the next year and then I fill in the gaps with the new ones. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Chantal, you have so much wisdom for such a young head. :shock: :D :wink:

Alison
KG Regular

I bought some really nice Bishop of Llandaff this year. I have left them in, but I suppose I really ought to remove them and do something with them. I haven't dealt with dahlias before - what does anyone advise?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Alison, dahlias were nearly always lifted in the autumn, but in the last few years the winters have been so mild that there has not been so much need. In all the gardens i work in, i just cut them down at the end of the year, then put a four inch layer of dry leaves or straw, and then some compost just to stop the leaves or straw blowing away.
I,ve done this for the last three years with no losses.
The only thing you have to watch out for, is in the spring when the shoots are starting to come through are slugs.
You can just dig the compost in, in the spring.

Chantal
KG Regular

My Bishop of Llandaff has come up for the past six years and I've done absolutely nothing to care for it. It's in a sheltered spot and more by luck than judgement it flowers every year. Nothing wise there I'm afraid OH :lol: :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

I do grow dahlias from seed as well as tubers (don't want you lot thinking I'm being lazy), it's just that you get a quicker start using tuber cuttings. :roll:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Heavens forbid Tigger, we would never think that of you. :wink:

Jeanthebean
KG Regular

Thanks everyone, I will get some seeds and see how I get on.

Old Herbacious, I did see her once when I first visited the sllotment this year but never since... she grows lovely squash too. Allotment envy is a terrible thing!

Cheers all

J:-)
Mothers of teenagers know why animals eat their young!
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
when planting Dahlias for potential permanant residence they should go in as deep as possible with at least 4" of soil over the top of the tubers. I always dig up a couple of each variety to do cuttings in the spring but the rest get left in.

The plants are much better the second and subsequent years. Don't forget to feed them though.
Regards Sally Wright.
Alison
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Alison, dahlias were nearly always lifted in the autumn, but in the last few years the winters have been so mild that there has not been so much need. In all the gardens i work in, i just cut them down at the end of the year, then put a four inch layer of dry leaves or straw, and then some compost just to stop the leaves or straw blowing away.
I,ve done this for the last three years with no losses.
The only thing you have to watch out for, is in the spring when the shoots are starting to come through are slugs.
You can just dig the compost in, in the spring.

Many thanks. Would it be OK to put black plastic over them? I could weight that down with stones. It does get quite a bit of wind in the winter.
Yours, Alison.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Alison, you could put black plastic over them, but you will still need the straw or dry leaves, as this will act as an insulation.
Sorry but no short cuts allowed. :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic