Do you have an induction hob?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chez
KG Regular

And if so, what do you think of it? We are in the market for a new hob (currently have halogen) and as we are very rural don't have our preferred option of gas.

Having spent considerable time researching the induction option, we know most of our saucepans are compatible. But we've recently purchased a Woll frypan for £80-ish which isn't! Also, some info that if Le Crueset pans don't fit the element size precisely they end up with hot and cold bits, which causes them to explode. Hmmm, we have Le Crueset too. They apparently make a humming noise too. If you have one, does the humming annoy you? AND... that if one ever gets a pacemaker, induction hobs are a safety issue re the magnetics interfering with effectiveness. We're not expecting to need pacemakers, but re Compo's situation who can ever tell? Along with all that, the induction hob is going to cost about £280 more than a ceramic one (most of which are no longer halogen - just under-glass electric plates). But induction is more energy-efficent, offers faster and more precise control similar to gas, pot handles don't get hot and plates cool down very quickly. So are they worth it??
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Alison
KG Regular

You could use a gas canister? We have an oil Aga, which is brilliant and I love it, but it does cost (though the kitchen is delightfully warm and the ovens are great and for me it is worth every penny) and a canister gas stove - full size, four rings, large oven, grill - which works fine when we use it e.g. Christmas, and the gas does seem to last reasonably well. If we couldn't have our Aga, I would be quite happy with the gas. We have the canister outside the window and feed the lead in through.
Alison.
Compo
KG Regular

Not sure if induction hobs do disagree with pacemakers, but I can find out!! Jeeps it looks like they might, glad I don't have one!!!

Comps
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
John
KG Regular

As Alison says, you could use bottled gas - propane, if you live out in the sticks. You will need to get one that runs LPG though, not natural gas. We've just had a new kitchen and I couldn't find a separate LPG hob and oven but there are a few good LPG stoves around. We eventually got a Cannon which, touch wood, has been excellent.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Tigger
KG Regular

We've got an LPG Hob which is excellent, as well as a combination range. If you've got a 'Capital' store near you, you'll find they have several, as well as LPG cookers and combination (LPG hob, electric oven) stoves.
Chez
KG Regular

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.

I'd love an Aga - kitchen can't accommodate it!

Re using LPG, we've always thought bottled gas consumption was rather more expensive than electricity. Is this not the case? BTW, if anyone is looking - Neff, John Lewis, Whirlpool, Bosch, Smeg and Zanussi all have separate hobs with LPG jets fitted and/or available conversion kits.

It looks like few people have induction hobs, which in itself, clarifies the situation for us. In the final analysis, there are too many 'againsts' than 'fors' for induction. We've now ruled it out.

Now choosing between electricity and LPG...I never thought it would be so complicated!
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Gilly C
KG Regular

I also use lpg at the old house we had 2 bottles with a switchover made for us by our coal merchant for a fraction of the price of a ready made one the bottles seemed to last forever and I cook a lot and had a family of 5 to feed then ! still use the hob here but we have a large tank now to run our central heating from as well not quite as good to cook on as town gas but preferable to electric any day !
richard p
KG Regular

having only cooked on electric, except in the caravan, whats wrong with it? why do "cooks" prefere gas?
Gilly C
KG Regular

Better for stir frying and cooking steaks like mine rare ! :wink: easier to control as responds much quicker have used both and I prefer electric fan oven and gas hob, each to their own ! :lol:
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Gilly,
I bought a new Range last year with five gas Hob and electric oven. The oven id 23" wide and I can put the Christmas Turkey in and all the roasties alongside and can bake a 24" French Loaf diagonally across it. I find that the large centre Gas is ideal for stir-fries and I have a Wok support as well which is super. I cook steaks in a cast iron ribbed pan and I can get my steaks beautifully rare as I too like them. cooked rare they are so tender and succulent and to have an over cooked steak to me is a crime. If people have to have an over cooked steak then they are eating the wrong meal!
BTW tomorrow for lunch we have home made Lamb Burgers with onion in home made wheatmeal baps.
(Dough rising as I write)To this day I have never had a MacDonalds but make my own steak burgers as well.
I make these burgers by hand but I believe there is a burger press but I am unable to find one in the cook's shops. Can anybody point me to where I can get one please?
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

I think our press came from Lakeland. We don't really like the place but wife's aunt gives her vouchers every Christmas so we have a ride round the Lakes then spend them on the way back.
http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/Search ... rger+press
Tigger
KG Regular

We've used LPG for cooking (along with electricity) and it isn't expensive. Different matter if you want to heat your house with it - oil is still cheaper......just. :shock:
Gilly C
KG Regular

We have no choice our house is part of the Job my husband runs a local authority Outdoor Education Centre but find it reasonable we live in a wooden bungalow and though we are only 100 yds from the coast find it cozy and warm, previously we lived in a large Victorian House which cost a fortune to try and heat and was never warm so I am very happy with our LPG heating :)

Johnboy I have always wanted a hob with a wok burner on you are a lucky man ! I also have a large oven but mine is in a housing so I don't have to bend down ! but now there is only the 2 of us I use a Remoska cooker a lot, bought from Lakeland does lovely Roast Chicken and enough room for roast potatoes too, also toad in the hole, fish, nice crispy dumplings etc. economical too supposed to be able to bake cakes too though I haven't tried I also use a slow cooker a lot for stews and curries, we get beautiful Salt Marsh Lamb here from my neighbour it is my sons favourite meal whenever he is on leave from the Army. If you like French sticks Lakeland also do a proper tin for them gives good results ! I have to admit my favourite shop :oops: I always call in when passing I have been a customer for 30 years at first buying those stripey freezer bags (that is how they started up) :lol:
Geoff
KG Regular

Spread out on tables in a slightly converted garage or the first shop? We liked them then, it's all the "once a year useful" gadgets they sell these days that drive us mad.
Gilly C
KG Regular

:lol: the converted garage type place ! we lived at Ambleside then and got feed for my horse from Jordons who have now moved too , to a farm in Ambleside, do you remeber the plastic jackets they made for Lambs ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic