Named Blackcurrant Plants - Free to a Good Home

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Chez
KG Regular

Hello All

Having moved our blackcurrant bushes from an allotment to our new location (just over a year ago), we have found we don't need them, as there are already older established bushes here. These produce far more than four households can eat/jam/jelly/freeze/wine/sauce, so we are going to replace ours with more gooseberries.

Therefore, if anyone is interested in strong and healthy two year old blackcurrant plants, we have 7 available. They are all either Ben Connan or Ben Hope, but we have not kept track of which is which. They are about 15 - 18" high, apart from a cutting from one of them, which is about 12" high. Pruned back last year, but not yet this year. All bar the cutting produced fruit for the first time last year.

We are in the LE7 area and these are free to take away - just seems such a waste to ditch them when they are doing so well. They are all in the ground, so for anyone interested, you could either dig them out yourself or we could do it in advance for you. Please reply here or via PM, as preferred.
Chantal
KG Regular

Yes please Chez, I'd love some of them (max 4) as my family is addicted to blackcurrants.

Perhaps I could collect some with the potato tubs!

Chantal :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Chez
KG Regular

I mistakenly lied about the age of these! They are four years old - two years old when we purchased them as bare-rooted stock and we have had them for two years. Thanks to my better half for quietly pointing this out to me.
Chantal
KG Regular

Not a problem to me...

Chantal

Chez
KG Regular

Hello Chantal - you've got mail in your PM.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

If there are any left I wouldnt mind some too I live in Scraptoft so could perhaps collect Chantals for her as I am dropping off some barrels on Saturday.

David
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Piglet - No problem at all for you to collect and Saturday is just fine. There are three remaining, which you are welcome to have. PM for you too.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi David, Chantal and Chez,
I hope now people will see the value of stating on their Profile which part in the country they live in.
What a wonderful little operation you have going on between you this weekend. Hope it all goes smoothly.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

Thanks guys, see you on Saturday David.

Chantal

Chez
KG Regular

I just thought - Piglet, if you would like to try a Crown Prince pumpkin, we do have an excess and you would be welcome to take one with you on Saturday. At least it would be fine in the boot while you are away! Entirely up to you though.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

that sounds grand Chez, Can I trade you for a jar of the dreaded ma made seville orange marmalade?

David
Chez
KG Regular

Yes please! I have been following that thread too. Just haven't decided whether to try making my own marmalade this year or not, but would love to try yours. Thanks.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Chez,

Thank you for the quality Blackcurrant bushes. With those monster well established ones on your patch I can see why they were superfluous.

The Crown prince pumpkin was also very welcome, I just hope that the dreaded seville marmalade tastes as good as the pumpkin looks.

Chantal, all the barrels are in my car along with 4 of Chez`s finest Black currant bushes. I will see you at the Antiques barn between 9-9.30ish in the morning.

Thanks once again.

Piglet
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chez
KG Regular

You are welcome, Piglet. Just pleased we did not have to throw them out.

Seville marmalade is wonderful, thank you! See post under the Seville Marmalade thread - couldn't wait.

Hope you and Mrs Piglet have a lovely weekend away too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic