Tatties

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

dogijon

Has anyone tried to grow Rocket earlies in an unheated greenhouse, and if so when did they plant them ??
Was the yield worth It??

Thank you
Dogijon
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Dogijon

We planted 3 x Rocket tubers per pot (3 pots), in the greenhouse on 7 March last year - the first time we had tried growing potatoes this way. We harvested 10 weeks from planting (around 20 May). The lowest pot yield was 1.3kg, the highest was 1.8kg. We were so pleased with the results, we have bought more pots to do the same again this year. Hopefully we will get them in a week earlier, as last year we had snow toward the end Feb/Mar, so held off planting.

You may be interested to know we did the same thing with Foremost too, with similar results (although harvested a week after Rocket).
Geoff
KG Regular

I think you should be bolder.
I dig my outside potato bed in January incorporating compost then sheet it over - did it last weekend. Then first weekend in March I fold back half the sheet and plant Rocket in furrows lined with more compost and cover with a large hoop cloche. I leave them covered until the foliage looks like it is sruggling for space then lift the sides and bunch it at the top. If frost threatens I drop it down again and if it looks really bad I add fleece and the original ground covering sheet, which if you have followed me you will realise is double thick on the other half of the plot (until I plant it with Charlotte). These I harvest not too long after you are getting them in the greenhouse so I reckon you could start earlier - I am going to try this year, see other post.
jane E
KG Regular

I hardly dare to tell you that I have very successfully planted Red Duke of York outside at the end of February several times. I cover with fleece. The secret is to keep it covered with heavy duty fleece. It recovers well from one frost attack. One year the frost got the leaves that were poking out from under the fleece but it had very little effect.I know this isn't supposed to be good practice but it's a risk and it's lovely to get really early potatoes. Last year I grew Lady Christl in a bed in an unheated greenhouse - good early crop - out before I needed to use the bed for other crops. Myself, I don't like Rocket - too bland - I'd go for Duke of York or Epicure or Arran Pilot as earlies. I suppose it's all indiidual taste.
Ian F

I have grown both Swift and Rocket in pots in an unheated greenhouse, and have planted them outdoors in late February as well. The Greenhouse ones beat the outdoor ones by about three weeks.

The secret of the outdoor ones is to warm the soil in advance with plastic, protect with plastic and fleece, grow in a raised bed which improves drainage, and cross your fingers.

I have had foliage nipped by the frost, but the plants have recovered. It's worth the faffing about to enjoy that wonderful new potato taste.
Chez
KG Regular

Hello All

A small nursery owner today informed in taste Swift generally beats Rocket. Ian, what are your thoughts, having grown both?

He also informs us Rocket is the only early you can rely on to be ready and of good taste in 90 days (outdoors) and that if left beyond this time, the taste starts to deteriorate. Perhaps that would partly explain why Jane and I have different experiences when it comes to the Rocket taste(?). Apart form the differing growing medium/conditions, of course. Just a thought...

I have posted his recommendation for using growbags instead of pots, in the greenhouse too. Under 'Seasonal Tips'.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Chez,

I tried Lady Christl last year with good results, lots of even sized tubers that are very early. I think that it has an AGM given to it to boot

Piglet
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
jane E
KG Regular

I didn't know Rocket deteriorated after 90 days. That could explain a lot. The maths being that if I've planted a few rows with a 3 Kg bag I'm going to take a few weeks to travel along those rows digging them up. I'll still stick with Lady Christl for my very first lot of potatoes, because I KNOW I like those. Then It will be Red Duke of York and then Epicure. I can almost taste them and I haven't even started to chit them yet!
pigletwillie
KG Regular

I have heard good reports about Red Duke of York, but have gone for British Queen and Anya to follow Lady Christl and as maincrop Pink Fir apple, Rooster, King Edward and Sarpo Axona.

Is it me or does the immense choice of tattie turn you into a gibbering wreck wondering if you have picked the "wrong un". I think a visit on the 29th to Garden Organics (Royton) potato day is looking good.

Piglet
Kindest regards Piglet

Gardening Girl
KG Regular

No it's not just you Pigletwillie

I bought some "Swift" seed potatoes last weekend after dithering for about half an hour over the choice - now I am glued to every mention of "Swift" to see if I did the Right Thing - and it seems the jury's still out! But I may try some now in pots in the greenhouse to see if I can get an extra early crop - thanks Chez.

GG
Gardening Girl
Ian F

I really don't have a favourite between the two, and cannot say that I have noted a deterioration in Rocket after 90 days. I have tended to leave them in the ground, and dig them as required for a few weeks before lifting to store.

I have found them both equally good, and would be happy to plant either. They both cook well, so don't worry Gardening Girl.

I don't get hung up on the first earlies, but am still trying to find a good blight resistant mashing potato. Any suggestion?

Pigletwillie - British Queen is lovely tasting. Anya is great if you like a nutty tase but rather the same as Pink fir apple, except that PFA is quite blight susceptible and comes bang in the middle of the blight season. Anya has some resistance.Sarpo Axona is VERY blight resistant and is a good mashing potato and quite late - supposed to be a good keeper but ours didn't stay around that long.Red Duke of York is one of my favourites.King Edward of course is great but again not blight resistant. I don't know Rooster.
I don't bother about the choice. I have a number of favourites and I ring the changes with them and incorporate a new one I don't know each year. I've got Alan Romans book and that's very informative.

Sorry that was Jane E above. I haven't signed in.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Hi Jane,

a few people have said that British Queen is great hence my purchase, I bought Anya as well as pfa thinking it was an early rather than main crop but was foiled on that one.

The harvest will tell, slugs and blight permitting.

Piglet
Kindest regards Piglet

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

Don't know much about getting earlier spuds. I just pop them in the ground and wait until they're ready to harvest.

This year I'm planting:

FE Pentland Javelin
SE Romano
EM Harlequin
LM Druid.

Grew Druid last year and they were yummy. The Harlequin (I think) is a cross with Pink Fir Apple and somthing else so thought i'd give it a bash. It's supposed to have the taste of pfa so it's all good.

I might keep a few of the harvested tubers back to plant in pots for Christmas harvest. Has anyone done this? I know I can't do it with the F1 varieties but not tried it with the others.

Any thoughts anyone?
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic