Holly Wreath.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Piglet
KG Regular

I have found several holly trees full with berries in a local hedgerow. Does anybody have an idiots guide to making a decent looking Christmas wreath for my front door.
Last edited by Piglet on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Piglet, my Mum makes Christmas Wreaths, but i think the easiest way, would be if you pop down the libary and get a Christmas craft book out, it's always easier to follow pictures, don't you think. :wink:
Hope yourself and Piglette are keeping well. :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi Piglet and Piglette, my fave peeps

All you need is a round piece of oasis (you can buy it in any florist or craft shop), some wire and a little time. Make sure the oasis is nice and damp before you start. All you do is wrap the wire around the stem of the holly and put into the oasis until all you can see is holly and berries.

How about adding some fir cones or other winter foliage. Or a bow at the bottom of the wreath.

Hope this helps. I'll have a word with Grock cos she's really clever at this sort of stuff. She decorates her own windows with Christmas paintings, makes her own decorations with the kids and all sorts. I;ll let you know.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Tigger
KG Regular

OOOOOh - can't wait.....
Allan
KG Regular

We got holly without berries last year so got busy with red candle wax dripped into water, the red blobs were then glued in place, at a distance you don't notice.
Allan
Diane
KG Regular

I shall probably be the odd one out here - but I hate holly wreaths on the door. It reminds me of death and graves. I know it's supposed to be an old custom - but it seems so dismal.

Garlands seem ok to me - they are a bit cheerier - but wreaths just give me the creeps.

Sorry. :(
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
John
KG Regular

Hello Piglet
A friend of ours make these at Christmas to raise money for our village church. She buys plastic wreath shaped formers which are then stuffed with Oasis and the holly, cones and so on are then all pushed into this just like in a flower arrangement. The advantage of Oasis is that it holds a lot of water and everything stays fresh looking for much longer. Your local florists shop will probably sell you the right stuff - might even give you a quick lesson in how to do it!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Chez
KG Regular

This link might be useful. Uses sphagnum moss, instead of oasis. I've not made one myself (yet) but I do buy the sphagnum-based ones and they last very well.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles12 ... reaths.asp
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic