Are butternut squashes worth growing?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Tigger
KG Regular

Like most others, I've had mixed results with squash but the practice I've put in seems to be paying off!

When you do get them, try this -

Cut the squash in two and remove the seeds. Roast until soft - use a little olive oil poured on the top. Remove the flesh and, using a fork, mash together with cream cheese (such as Philadelphia) and some black pepper. Put it into an oven proof bowl or individual ramekins. Grate a little Parmesan on the top and bake until golden.

Yum.
taralastair
KG Regular

A very useful recipe for pumpkin curd was in another mag a few month ago. It was basically boiled/steamed mashed pumpkin then cooked with lemon, sugar and butter. My husband and I both find it very nice. We only had a large bland pumpkin to use up though so it was a good way of adding some flavour. You can jar it (useful for us as our freezer is still bursting) and we use it just like lemon curd on toast. I may try making ice cream with it too. Another good recipe is to use mashed pumpkin layered with goats cheese then baked with breadcrumbs on top. Very comfort food-ish. Of course there are soups, risottos, curries you name it. All lovely - this is why I need to grom more pumpkins next year!

Tara
Beccy
KG Regular

....and wants recipes to enhance the flavour which is very mild. ....It does go to show that using sprinter seeds in UK is very worthwhile if it's fruit you want.
Allan[/quote]

An oxymoron surely.
pigletwillie
KG Regular

Well the crown prince and butternut sprinter are ordered allan, here hopes!
Chez
KG Regular

Hmmmm.... I noticed that too Beccy. Allan, what do you mean by getting my hopes up, then dashing them by saying the flavour of Butternut Sprinter is mild? Oh well, I guess I wasn't clear that we are looking for flavour. We had loads of Halloween pumpkins this year too, so are minimising the bland options. However, some recipes are okay or even better with bland (having tried both) so Allan, following are a few links for you.

Best with Bland Squashes

Brown Family's Favourite Pumpkin Pie - sweet. It can be made with more tasty squashes, but when we did so with Crown Prince, it was just too sickly sweet for us. http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/BrownFamil ... pknPie.asp

Pumpkin Bisque (below) is just fine with bland squashes too and until recently we had only used Halloween pumpkins in this recipe. This year we tried CP and found it tasted even better, so tend to stick with CP now.

Best with Flavoursome Squashes
We have made the following with both Crown Prince & Butternut. Both fine, but once again CP just adds a more intense flavour, so is our preference.

Pumpkin Bisque - everyone who had ever tried this has asked for the recipe - http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/vt/r/vtr76013.htm

Deep Dish Potato & Pumpkin Pie - One of our real favourites. A savoury pie, which is great for lunch or dinner, with salad. http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/DeepDishPo ... pkinPi.asp

I would also be interested in how Uchiki Kuri measures up re taste, yield, etc., from anyone who has had a successful crop.
jane E
KG Regular

Hello Chez, Last summer could not be described as HOT, - a bit mixed and I remember that when our butternuts did well it was a hot summer.Maybe that had something to do with it.I'd have another go. I remember a string of butternut squashes of supermarket size with not much trouble a few summers ago. I've put a message in for you. Jane
Chez
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff. Will check out whether the pumpkin I remember is Queensland Blue, when I call home this weekend. As always, Mum should usually knows! I am sure I can seek professional help should it have this Aussie name.

Jane, do you know the variety you grew (when it was hot)?
jane E
KG Regular

No. Jean who shares an allotment with me sowed them. They looked just like the supermarket ones and they tasted great.
mvnorwood
KG Regular

Oh instead of using straw mulch use office shreddings

These reflect more of the suns rays back up to these slow to ripen plants
mandylew
KG Regular

think this is the one
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic