greenhouse thermometers

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peterf
KG Regular

just wondering if anyone has one of these cordless digital thermometers in their greenhouse.theres so many to choose from im not sure where to start.i quite like the idea of the ones that have a cold temperature alarm built in,it would give me peace of mind if anything was to go wrong with my heater,also i wouldnt have to keep going outside to see what the temp is.any body got some experience with one of these,thanks peter :o
Jo H
KG Regular

All the digital thermometers I've had have packed up after about 1 season in the greenhouse so I've been using a mercury one with 2 columns, one max one min and a button to reset. No problems with this one except there's no alarm.
Jo
peterf
KG Regular

thanks jo,i have always used standard max min thermometers.the digital one im looking at is an oregon cordless with frost alarm and can take 3 senors at different locations 30 meter coverage £39.99
peterf
KG Regular

sorry should have said sensors :lol:
nog
KG Regular

I got one from Lidl....great in the summer. But in the winter once the temp goes down the battery dies in the cold and you loose reading.. when the temp comes up the sensor comes back on line.

I now test the temp with a cat...If I can push the cat out the door its mild if the cats arms and legs telescope out to fill the door frame its cold.
peterf
KG Regular

cheers norman,i was hoping for a more detailed reply,but the cat sketch sounds good to me :lol:
peterf
KG Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nog
KG Regular

Mine is a cheap version of the "Oregon" type cost me £7.00 from Lidl. It has a base unit and a remote unit. It gives an internal and exteranl temp reading as well as humidity and barometer reading. BUT the external sensor runs off a 3v (2032) watch battery so when it gets below 3 the voltage drops and you loose the reading.
mazmezroz
KG Regular

I was given a Oregon weather station for my birthday last September, which I keep at home. It's been a bit tricky to locate the sensor somewhere where it won't get wet, and I think it's too close to the house, but as I have a thermometer in the car, at the allotment greenhouse and in my home plastic greenhouse, I can pretty well interpret very accurately the possibility of frost worries in both locations - ie home and allotment.

The weather station itself has been remarkably accurate and the on-line help people have been very helpful indeed. They reply to any questions v. quickly. I think this was a fairly expensive bitta kit (don't like to ask as it's a pressie!) but I can certainly recommend it. Have a feeling it's about £100.

As the clock/weather station is by my bed, I have regular peeks at it day and night and can be a fully fledged weather geek now.

hi all, ive got my wireless thermometer up and running now had a few teething probs but all in all what a clever bit of tech.at present it is 6.5 in the greenhouse and 19.3 next to my pc,frost alarm is set at 5.0 so im hoping its gunna get a bit colder tonight and set the alarm off.cheers peter :lol:
peterf
KG Regular

just checking my log in status new pc amd all that :lol:
peterf
KG Regular

is it working
nog
KG Regular

Yep its working....What thermometer did you get.
peterf
KG Regular

hi norman,i got a (acclim ????) someit or other.its not a top of the range weather station,but i cant fault its accuracy.i was a bit concerned about some posts as regard to its accuracy when the sensor is in a cold enviroment,but as im heating my greenhouse to 10 degrees min this shouldnt pose a problem I HOPE. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic