Seed Bargain Time

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

Went down to Wilkinsons today to see if the onion sets were in. They weren't but I got 5 packs of seeds instead.

They're doing 75% off everything in the sale so my 5 packs of seeds cost me £1.50 for the lot.

They had both flower and veg seeds.

Hope this is of help to someone. I like a good bargain me.
Lots of love

Lizzie
tarlastair

Thanks, I'll check this out soon. Also FYI went to Homebase on Sunday and they had a basket full of random seeds all for 45p each. All had a sow by date of 2007 or 2008 so I'm guessing they are ok.

Tara
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Wilco's here are doing a buy on get one free offer and they have their own brand seeds which are a fraction of the price of the big boys

I've been to Wilkos too. I've bought loads of seeds and now I'm impatient to get sowing.
Carole B.
KG Regular

errr...Wilkinsons?...Homebase?...Wilcos?...Are we missing out down here?
Carole.
Sr Clare Julian

:? Imagine how I feel here in Ireland, Carole, and out in the boondocks also....Well, we DO have Lidl.....and I saved so much seed last year too.... Alan Roman will probably get my small order; oh and a firm called Brown over there,who are having a heritage fest and selling packets for 2p every time you buy 7..but the postage rates are shocking.
Gardening Girl
KG Regular

Hi Carole, yes you are missing out - just as I also do on the Isle of Man as sadly we don't have any of those stores. Which means when we do visit the UK I make a beeline for:

Wilko (Wilkinsons) for lots of gardening things, esp equipment, bulbs, onion sets, shrubs (eg got a nice azalea last year for 1.99 - it's doing very well)
Netto or Lidl for seeds and fruit trees (netto usually sell all their seed for 19p per pack - and 9p at the end of the season!
Poundstretcher for canes (also got my potting bench top there for £4.99 - it's about twice that in the garden catalogues)
Poundland for multiple trays of modules, spray guns
etc etc
Woolies when they reduce their seed and also for fruit trees
Morrisons do an excellent range of plants - I have bought nearly all my clematis there at less than £2 each
Anybody have any other top cheap shops for gardening?

GG (like Lizzie a bargain hunter too)
Gardening Girl
Deb P
KG Regular

If you have a Makro or Costco store near you, they can be worth a trawl. I've been looking for some containers to grow potatoes in that are robust and will last a while, and last week bought a set of four massive black plastic 'buckets' (about 3/4 of the size of a dustbin), sold for storing toys in, for £14 at Makro. They have rope handles to help moving them too, all I need to do is put some drainage holes in the bottom, so I was well pleased, much cheaper than the potato barrels sold!
spinningfishwife
KG Regular

I was in my local Woolworths yesterday and noticed they had both their own brand seeds and Johnstones at Buy 1 Get 1 Free. They had the same offer on for spring planting bulbs.
Val
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Hi
I have just moved back to the mainland after many years in the outer hebrides and I too used to get jealous of all the bargains in the chain stores. Internet/Mail order was my saviour. I may be on the mainland now but its a long trip to the nearest stores - if you come across any bargains online post them here :D
Deb P
KG Regular

Bargains can be had on eBay, but its fast becoming more like a shop window, with the prices to match! However, I have made some great purchases from 'ordinary' folk, some home collected seeds I bought last year were superb, plus you can buy seed collections which I'm afraid I went a bit mad on (25 packets for £5.25), and can try and use this year.
Deb P
KG Regular

Just came back from Lidl this morning, they are now selling veg. seeds (fair selection) for 29p a packet, 45p for large bean packets. Bargain!
secret guest

The DT Browns seeds, get a 2p packet for every 7 is a bit of a swizz, because there is a very small range of 2p vegetable seeds to choose from..who wants kale?????
Beccy
KG Regular

Well I like it.

With mashed butter beans, olive oil and paprika. Or in a tortilla or oh I'm going to have to go and make something with some of mine now.
Tigger
KG Regular

Poundland also have fleece, cloches, netting, bulbs, tomato food, organic top dressing, - lots of bargains. Lidl's seeds are good value, as are Aldi's.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic