Kidney stones, any advice on how to cope with the pain.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Got up fine today and took my son to his first Rugby-Union match in the local league.
Fifteen minutes in started to get the stitch pain to end all stitch pains, on the right.
Had to get the wife to pick me up, threw up on the way home, curled up crying when she brought the rhino home victorious - just- , against the league favourites.

Got the out-of hours quack out and got, diagnosis of kidney stone, injection in rear, prescription, stop taking medicine for my back, can take solpadol painkillers, drink lots of water, oh and wait for nature to take its course.

Anyone else had one of these ruddy things?

How long does it last, 48 hours was mentioned?
Does one mean more on the way?
Any tips re posture, specific drinks to have/avoid?
Things to do to help/
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

Dunno chuck, I have gall stones and the remedy for passing them is thermo-nuclear pain killers and bed, stunned with pain, for 48 hours. As I understand it kidney stones are similar except being a bloke, passing them can be a lot worse. :shock: There is one thing, when it really hurts you go into a sort of trauma so although it hurts like hell you can do it. My heart goes out to you. :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
jopsy
KG Regular

oh no!
i do hope youre ok
my friends mum had them-she came out ok in the end! not that its any consolation atm
small hugs jo x
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Doctor Deb
KG Regular

Make sure you see your G.P., A.S.A.P.
Can be lots of serious consequences of kidney stones, and diagnosis ought to be confirmed. Most kidney stones are passed harmlessly and cause no more trouble, but for some people they can be a real problem, so make sure you get followed up.
The pain you had is known in "the trade" as renal colic, and as medical students you are always told that it is the most severe pain you can experience. Hope you have no further trouble, best wishes
Doctor Deb
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Oh dear Peter! :( I've heard it's like childbirth, if not worse. If it's any consolation, when the pain finally goes you feel completely euphoric! Not sure of it's worth it though.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

BIG UGS OFF THE TART AND GROCK,dont know what else to do!sorryxxxxxxxxxxxx
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Jude
KG Regular

Poor you!
When I was a 'proper' hospital-type nurse we used to give regular doses of pethidine and had to collect all urine passed and then sieve it to see when the stone was passed, which always seemed a bit unecessary as it was bloody obvious when it had been due to the look of relief on the sufferer's face!
Honest, though, if it gets really bad just get yourself down to A&E and demand good drugs!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

OOOH ISNT THAT ILEGAL
Tigger
KG Regular

Ought to be Grock!

Peter - it's that intense, lower back and rear of chest pain (he'll know what I mean) that's so awful.

Anything that makes your water system work more efficiently is good - in other words, diuretics, - celery, fluids, cabbage, some herbs.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

whiskey?
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

chantel,.....havnt stopped pis...ng my self laghing at the picture of the luvly tig and jay
GILL B
KG Regular

Peter, poor you - I had an op for kidney stones last year. The pain was worse than anything I have ever ever ever had. I felt like ringing the vet to put me out of my misery. I took Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Buscopan all together.
I am now fanatical about drinking plenty of water as I don't want it back - indeed no!
Hope you get sorted soon. Best wishes.
Deb P
KG Regular

I too have had kidney stones, the first bout two years ago which was the worst. :(

I had agonising back pain on one side, throwing up, delirious, finally conked out on the hall floor just after calling an ambulance, this was after my GP told me he though I had a touch of cystitis!! Turned out I had one stone lodged halfway down my ureter that had blocked, hence the progression to septicaemia; not nice, my OH had to give a history to the Dr's at the medical assessment unit as I was not capable of anything: he said I didn't make as much noise giving birth: shock: ; having done both, I can honestly say the kidney stones were more painful!

So, what helps? IM Pethidine was the only thing that got even close to the pain for me, oral painkiller and even IV morphine didn't touch it (Pethidine has anti-spasmodic properties as well as painkilling which may explain that)! Obviously requires hospital admission, although with my second bout my GP tried me with a small dose of Pethidine at home to try and see if we could avoid having to be admitted, but no luck. Fortunately, I did pass all my little rocks after about 3 days each bout; instant relief!! Nothing more to do except try and drink plenty (a cup full of clear fluid every hour if poss.) to help flush the little buggers out. If you get a temperature, or keep vomiting, seek medical attention ASAP. Hope you feel much better soon, keep us all posted! :wink:
peter
KG Regular

First bout :shock: Whimper :cry:

The advice is welcome, for a needle-phobic the horror stories less so.

At the moment the prescription drugs are keeping the pain at bay. Haven't thrown up since the out-of-hours GP visit. When the drugs are due for replenishment get a dull ache, so assume it has not yet passed.

Dr Deb, thanks for the advice, went to the GP today and he is booking me an ultrasound scan.

Chantal, if it's twins can you give me Max Clifford's number please?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

Never mind Max Clifford, I'll be your agent :lol: :lol:

Are you feeling any better or are we just all scaring you silly? :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic